Snakes

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Snakes

Postby Garrick Bridges » Mon 12 Jan 2004 10:53 am

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make dog kennels/runs snake proof or as safe as possible from snakes? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
Garrick Bridges

HOT WIRE

Postby Rick Johnston » Mon 12 Jan 2004 11:06 am

GET A PORTABLE ELECTRIC FENCE ENERGISER.RUN SOME 150X25MM TREATED PINE PLANKS UPRIGHT AROUND THE RUN.STAPLE ONE HOT WIRE AND ONE EARTH WIRE AN INCH APART ABOUT 3/4 THE WAY UP THE PLANK.HOOK IT UP AND THEY WONT GET IN.
Rick Johnston

ITS ME

Postby Rick Johnston » Mon 12 Jan 2004 11:08 am

SORRY I FORGOT TO SIGN OFF AS ME
RICK!
Rick Johnston

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Mon 12 Jan 2004 12:39 pm

Garrick,

Another method I've heard of is as follows. I know of people who have used bird netting very effectively. I understand the material you're after is the soft pliable netting which is draped over fruit trees to stop birds feeding.

I believe the idea is to lay the netting lengthwise around the boundary of your dog yard/run. Securely anchor one edge of the netting to the ground and drape the remaining material loosely over itself in folds all the way along. As snakes attempt to go over it, they invariably slide their heads into the netting, become caught up and cannot back out.

Hope this helps too and good luck!

Teresa Parkinson
Last edited by Teresa Parkinson on Tue 13 Jan 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teresa Parkinson

Snakes

Postby Garrick Bridges » Mon 12 Jan 2004 10:36 pm

Thanks for those suggestions. I have heard about the bird netting before but have never heard the method involving the electric wire, I will give you a call Rick to find out more information.
I have heard of a number of dogs being fatally bitten in this area (Albury) recently and I am really keen to avoid having one of my dogs bitten.

Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Gareth Tawton » Mon 19 Jan 2004 2:15 pm

Garrick,

I have seen the bird netting method in action and seen the remains to prove it works. I must admit I like the electricution method better as it tickles my warped sense of humour.

Gareth
PS: remember a good snake is a dead snake!! and snake proofing your dog does work.
Gareth Tawton

Postby Garrick Bridges » Tue 20 Jan 2004 5:50 pm

Hi Gareth,
I have read about one method of snake proofing which is used in the US and involves the use of e-collars and defanged rattlesnakes. Apparently that method is very effective.
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 20 Jan 2004 10:33 pm

Hi Garrick,

Bags not defanging the rattlesnakes :shock:

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 22 Jan 2004 6:40 am

Garrick,

Like kirsty, bags not being the team defanger. I get a fresh killed snake and give the dogs a cracks with it. If you miss the dog and hit your leg you will soon see its most unpleasnt, a bit like a stock whip. Dogs generally have a fear of snakes, then to be associated with a bit of unpleasantry realy helps drive home the idea of staying away from them. It might sound a bit cruel but short term pain for long term pain is worthwhile I think.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Return to General