Gallery of Greats

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Gallery of Greats

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 15 Jan 2003 10:47 pm

I have looked at the RAFT hall of fame and confess to being somewhat disappointed. Most great dogs are not included and its scope is minimal and Mean spirited. I am toying with the idea of starting a gallery of greats to acknowlege the champions of the past both canine and human, in a much more generous way. You wouldn't have to be dead to be inducted into this gallery.I guess a set of standards would have to be set and some possible adjudicator's found, ideally people that span 1970's to the present. Is this another stupid betteridge idea ?or can anyone see any merit in this suggestion;even if it just becomes a wakeup call for the RAFT committee
Peter Betteridge

Gallery of Greats

Postby Visitor » Fri 07 Feb 2003 2:25 pm

I agree with the above. Not enough is done to recognise the great achievers.
There is a deal of scepticism about the Hall of Fame. The whole process should be more transparent (as in the USA).
The ANKC web page should contain a brief summary of each person's/dog's achievements and/or claim to fame, as well as photos, of course.
Visitor

Inductee

Postby Peter Betteridge » Fri 20 Jun 2003 4:55 pm

I believe that Bill Baileys great dog "Cass" or Rt Ch Derbyshire Ace of Hearts has just been inducted into the hall of fame. Whilst I aplaud this move I feel that is a pity that It has taken this long to recognize one of the great retrievers of the past. Cass died 18 years ago and ceased to compete in 1981.Perhaps others will now be considered Here is my short list(just my opinion of course and obviously only dogs I know about)
NT RT CH Cobargo Captain
Nt RT Ch Ruvluan Homer
NT RT CH Bambillay White Ash
Nt RT CH Bambillay River Sands
NT RT CH Truclass Ruff and Ready
I would like to see many more great Champions added but I think these ones stand out as obvious. Does anyone else have some names to add to the list?
Peter Betteridge

gallery of greats

Postby Annie Warner » Fri 20 Jun 2003 7:33 pm

I think the idea very good, we as a sporting group (or whatever we are!) should be recognising the 'greats', and not just when they are dead!!
I also do not believe to be a 'great' the dog or handler has to have been a National winner.
There are the 'greats' who shone in their own States but for various reasons with handlers who could not go interstate. There are the 'greats' from other breeds then Labradors (oh and of course 'Homer') who shone as representatives of their breed.
Perhaps a Gallery of Greats could pay respect to a far wider class of greats? Whilst not taking anything away from any of the greats.

annie
Annie Warner

Gallery of Greats

Postby Kerry » Sat 21 Jun 2003 3:00 pm

I agree, there are so many great dogs in Australia who are not necessarily National Champions, and handlers who have excelled in the sport. As Peter has pointed out the ANKC Gallery of Greats so often selects a dog or handler of distinction after their death. It would be far more fitting to recognise their achievements whilst still on this earth, I think.

The criteria for what would actually constitute "a great" needs close assessment, as the previous Author states, there are dogs and handlers in each state which are "great" in their own right, without a Nat.R.T.Ch prefix to their name, who also deserve recognition. The problem could be that a flood of nominations could come forward, and who, would take on the job of selecting from these.

I think it would be a good idea Peter, especially with history and photos. It would make an interesting and informative section of the site.
Kerry

Hall of Fame critera

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 24 Jun 2003 8:10 pm

Kerry
the dogs that I nominated have all won at least 2 nationals and competed against the best dogs in the country on a regular basis. I believe to be considered a national great it is necessary to compete against the best. Your point about setting a critera is off course a very valid one. It needs to be up front and in black and white. Personally it doesn't worry me if we get a flood of nominations and 50 dogs and /or handlers get elected. It needs to be above board and not someones opinion. If the critera is not depersonalized then really only people such as John Palmer, Jack Montesall, Bob Tawton and others of their ilk would be in a position to adjudicate as they alone have competed against all the great retrievers past and present.
Having another category for dogs that excelled at state level is a terriffic idea. I am all for recognizing high acheivers from other minority breeds. One other idea is to have a Champions Row. Recognizing the acheivement of titling a dog as a RT CH is significent. It is probably the hardest title to acheive in the dog world.
Peter Betteridge

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 25 Jun 2003 8:59 am

Peter - my spies tell me that there are very few nominations for the Hall of Fame - might be something do with all the data that has to be collected for a submission and most owners are reluctant to put up their own dogs? Whatever is done to recognise dogs and handlers it would be good to have some sort of straightforward formula that people could follow.
Prue
Prue Winkfield

gallery of greats

Postby Annie Warner » Wed 25 Jun 2003 9:06 pm

Peter - yes the idea of a Champions Row (or whatever you wish to call it) would be great, and the 'champion' could be canine or human. Something that seems to be often overlooked is the work put in by humans, some of whom have rarely worked a dog or if they have just havn't had the time to make up a champion as they spend so much time doing all the back room stuff to keep this sport going! There are a number of names that spring to mind and it wouldn't be right to just mention 1 name and again this is something that happens on a state to state level, rather than on a national basis.
It would be wonderfull to have all of this in a presentation form on the 'net but it would also be great to have it all in 'hardcopy' and recorded for all to see and read at special occasions etc
I think that it would be true to say that few people would nominate their own dogs on a number of grounds, pity that.....and the silly thing is one can be out doing some fairly basic training and completely 'blow the mind' of not only 'pet' dog owners but even rough shooters - to the extent they will come and talk to you like you and your dog have done something amazing, whilst you are thinking to yourself 'why did i bother entering that trial next week?' We triallers are pretty hard on ourselves and our dogs and often fail to recognise the really good things the dogs are doing for us.
annie
Annie Warner

Gallery of Greats

Postby Jez » Sun 17 Aug 2003 2:59 pm

From another board:

<<It is my pleasure and honor to announce that William E. "Ned" LeGrande, one of the founding members of the National Red Setter Field Trial Club, has been elected into the Field Trial Hall of Fame.
<snip> On behalf of the National Red Setter Field Trial Club and its
members, we extend our heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to the hundreds of field trialers who voted with their heads and hearts to place this man on this most honorable pedestal. <snip> For those of you
wishing additional information, check our website at http://www.nrsftc.com >>

Wow, under the American Hall of Fame, triallers actually get to vote? People know in advance who is being proposed?? Cool! Why can't Aussies have a similar system?
Jez
Jez

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 18 Aug 2003 9:21 am

Jez - don't think true democracy has reached the dog world here :(
Prue Winkfield

Return to General