Hand written trial entries

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Hand written trial entries

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 27 Jan 2004 5:59 pm

In posting some trial schedules today I was reminded how much I dislike hand writing trial entries. I had a quick look at member body rules in regard to entries and discovered that different Canine Councils seem to take a different stand on requirements to use of these forms. For example RNSWCC will only accept entries on the official form, whereas the ACTCA allows trial secretaries to accept a facsimile (presumably only needing to contain the same information, rather than needing to look the same).

My question is, why do we need to fill out these forms by hand every time? Surely in this modern age we can have a form that can be filled in electronically? I am not (yet) calling for electronic entries (although this would be great and relatively easy as every handler and dog has a unique membership/registration number with the ANKC), but surely we can at least have something that can be prepared on our computers, printed and sent off with a cheque for the entries.

Of course hand written forms could still be made available for those without computer access, but even they could be better designed to be easier to use.

I know several handlers (myself included) have a made up a computer generated facsimile of the entry form which is generally accepted by pragmatic trail secretaries, but it would be great if these were actually allowed by member bodies.

Anyway food for thought.

Cheers, Jason
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 29 Jan 2004 9:14 pm

Jason,

As I understand it. You can enter any trial in the country provided the entry is acceptable in you home state. Each competitors is bound by his home states requirements. I use a computer generated form and hand sign each entry. It sure makes life much easier.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 30 Jan 2004 10:17 am

Thanks for the clarification Gareth. I will use my computer generated forms for all trials on that basis. In case anyone argues, can you point me in the direction of an ANKC rule or committee decision to this effect?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 30 Jan 2004 12:08 pm

Gareth, do you mean you created your own computer entry form or is it one you downloaded from a web site?

I checked the VCA website yesterday and although you can download a variety of different forms, the trial/show entry forms are not amongst them.

From memory, they are nothing special. There is no VCA logo or other identifying symbol. That has me wondering if trial entry forms are the same in all states. If so, perhaps we could have a generic form stored somewhere on AWRC that we could all have access to....just think of all that extra training time! :wink:

Teresap - hoping like hell that the clouds outside amount to something! :lol:
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Kate Eltringham » Fri 30 Jan 2004 2:36 pm

Hi Teresa,

Noel has developed "something" on his computer that has been formatted to fit the current VCA entry forms. He prints them onto the VCA form from the details he has entered and I know he has done this for a few other trialers so that they can print their own.

As sectretary/trial secretary for a number of trials it makes my job a heck of alot easier when I receive printed entry forms and particularly when we (Noel and I) go to do the catalogues. It seems trialers hate to see the wrong information in the catelogues but don't realise it's very hard to interpret some of their handwriting (thank goodness we've got Jack to correct us) :!:

The clouds have amounted to rain here, so much so we've got mud to work with instead of dirt in the dog runs :?

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Entry Forms

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 30 Jan 2004 9:02 pm

Hi All,
Many years ago I developed a computer generated facsimile of the so called "official" entry form in Excel. I have exclusively used these forms over the past ten years. I am more than happy to e-mail anyone who wants a copy.

Regards, Robert Tawton
Robert Tawton

Postby Paul Littlejohn » Sat 31 Jan 2004 6:43 pm

Why, because member bodies want our/your money so you have to purchase their entry forms.
Tassy have a rule that they will only except hand written entry form, we have even tried to get some other state ie NSW forms because they are more user friendly for what our control wants but the reply was NO because they would loose money.

Bob I would like one of your forms.

Paul
Paul Littlejohn

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 01 Feb 2004 9:35 am

I come from a show/obedience/agility background, and in those fields, it is mostly accepted to submit computer generated or printed entry forms. The agility folk in particular send their entries in like this, due to the number of entry forms to be completed if you have multiple dogs running.

Several people I know of have developed a template using MS Word or MS Excel and this then prints the required info. onto the entry forms for them. I haven't heard of anyone in NSW/ACT region being told that their entries were not accepted on this basis.

Cheers

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 01 Feb 2004 5:49 pm

I have scanned the bought entry forms from the CAWA, then inserted the print details of my entry, then saved it.

When I need an entry I just print out the saved form. I can also alter any details (eg. titles gained).

Many people use copied entry forms over here, especially those who have multiple dogs and enter many events. I have never had a problem with my entries, and also, as the Secretary for our State Champ. Retrieving trial and having received many types of entry forms, I find the typed information much easier to read than the handwritten ones, especially when it comes to dog names and addresses. I honestly prefer these types of entries than the handwritten, and seeing the entry forms go no further than my file, I cannot see a problem with it.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Return to General