Visitor from NZ

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Karen Parnell » Tue 10 Feb 2004 2:01 pm

Hi Jason & Kirsty,

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

I guess I should do a wee intro while I am here. My name is Karen Parnell and I live in Christchurch, NZ. I have been trialling goldens for 15 years with some success and a LOT of enjoyment. Our trials here are quite different to Australia/USA however I am sure I can learn something from your training methods to help me win these CC's over here!

Looking forward to joining in some conversations and to perhaps catching up with some of you - I am coming over for a visit at Easter so perhaps I will meet some people at Banella (sp?).

Cheers
Karen. :D
Karen Parnell

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 10 Feb 2004 2:18 pm

Hi Karen

Welcome to the bulletin board. Unless my memory fails me, you are our first NZ member. It will be great if you are able to make it to the Benalla trial - it is an excellent way to meet lots of Aussie triallers and see heaps of our best dogs at work.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 10 Feb 2004 2:51 pm

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the group.

I'm secretary to the Central Highlands Club that runs the Easter trial. If you need any details or information about the trial please contact me via email and I'll arrange to get details, mudmaps etc to you.

Hope to see you at Easter.

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:14 pm

Hi Karen from the Cramonds too.

Jason I wonder if us girls are catching up regarding numbers?? LOL.

Karen I was speaking to a fellow from Victoria, just last Saturday, regarding New Zealand trials. He had attended two in NZ. He mentioned that they were very similar to Australian retrieving trials.

I also seem to remember he said that you do not have birds landing in water. Is that correct?

If you do attend the Easter trial, you will have alot of fun. Do you have friends who are taking you, or travelling alone?

Do not be afraid to ask on this forum for any help.

Gee these threads get mixed up. No wonder I can never remember where the blind is. LOL.
Julie Cramond

Split

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:26 pm

I've split the NZ visit thread out. Hope that makes it easier.

Jason.

PS the blind is under the tree with the orange ribbon in it.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:39 pm

Hi from yet another part of Victoria, Australia Karen! Welcome to AWRC. It's great to hear from members elsewhere and find out a bit more about how the game is played in other countries.

I'd suggest you'll end up meeting nearly everyone off this forum at Benalla! :lol: And I think you'll even get to see a golden or two! :wink:

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 10 Feb 2004 4:16 pm

Look forward to meeting you at Benella - a lot of fun there and the largest collection of triallers of all levels you will see in Australia (thanks to the alphabet club).
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 10 Feb 2004 5:28 pm

Hi Karen and welcome. We need some more Goldie people on this site !!

I have heard your name mentioned on Pacific Working Gundogs, so have an inkling as to who you are. I am also a Goldie owner having a "Mhadaidh" bitch. There are a couple of bitches (Golden) from W.A. now living in New Zealand, but not competing. You should come to W.A. sometime, we appear to be the Goldie Capital in Australia, as far as trialing numbers are concerned; we outnumber the Labs over here.

Cheers, Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 10 Feb 2004 5:34 pm

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the site! I think I may have spoken to you before through the Yahoo Goldy mailing list. I really hope you can make it to Benalla - its a fantastic weekend (not that I just want to ask you 6000 questions about NZ goldies or anything :wink: )

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Karen Parnell » Wed 11 Feb 2004 6:53 am

Wow - thanks guys for the great welcome!
Plus I am really stunned that I am the first NZer.... they don't know what they are missing!! I have been lurking this website for quite a while and then thought it was about time I made myself known.

Julie - yes you are correct, our Championship water trials are birds retrieved across water, not from water. At club trials you will get variations but as we don't get to retrieve from water, very few trials will have this.

I am coming over and staying with Sue Grant (SA), attending the Easter Trials, seeing a bit of the country and finishing up with Sue and Laraine Frawley at the GR National in Sydney at the beginning of May. I attended a field trial in Seattle in 1998 (GRCA National) and am really looking forward to seeing how the Australians run theirs... (field and Specialty).

Better go - got work to do but I will be back :)

Cheers
K.
Karen Parnell

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 11 Feb 2004 3:20 pm

Karen,

Welcome to the site. From the look of most of the replies Jason and I are the odds ones out . Male and/or no Goldens. I know sue Grant competed in NZ sometime ago. BUt I think it was at the lower levels.

Do you have championship events similar in any way to ours? Do you have some sort of eligibilty to enter championship? Do you think the NZ controlling body would recognise Australian titles to allow a dog to compete at the top level?

I suppose you can get my drift. Is there any way I could bring my All Age dog from Australia and enter at your top level? If so who/how would I follow this up.

Gareth Tawton.

PS I live 15min from Laraine Frawley and train with her regularly.
Gareth Tawton

Postby Brian Kennedy » Wed 11 Feb 2004 3:47 pm

Hi Karen,

A NZ Golden, "FT CH Goldenflite El Greco" sired a litter of pups in Australia, and I was fortunate enough to get a male from the litter. I was wondering if you know if he has been trialing recently and how he is going.

Best regards,

Brian Kennedy
Brian Kennedy

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 11 Feb 2004 3:57 pm

Hi Brian,

How's your puppy going?

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Brian Kennedy » Wed 11 Feb 2004 4:02 pm

Hi Kirsty,

His going well, his about 10 months old and full of beans. He has a great temprement and runs like a lab. Ha Ha.

Regards Brian.
Brian Kennedy

Postby Mark Sewell » Wed 11 Feb 2004 4:30 pm

Hi Brian

How are you doing? Hope all is well. I saw Trevor's pup in action on the weekend and he oozes with style also. It seems that there will be an influx of goey Golden's on the scene in the near future. Can't wait for that!!

Take care

Mark
Mark Sewell

Next

Return to General