How Did You Start Out In Retrieving?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

How I Started in Retrieving Trials

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 20 Feb 2004 3:41 pm

Hi All,
From early days in the Air Training Corp I developed a love of firearms, including competitive small bore shooting. After several years of marriage, Pam and I acquired “Rusty”, a striking yellow male Labrador, who came free and with “papers”. Well, the papers never materialised and I soon established that without them I was hamstrung as far as any level of competition. The great research project was initiated and I attended Retrieving Trials held in Invanhoe, near the Bourke Road Bridge, where I saw the great Pantherdell Panther compete. I then attended several Spaniel & Retriever trials held at Morrison’s where I met people like, Jack Montasell, Bob Maver, George Daniels, Charlie Ball, Mick Silvia and Clem Baldwyn.

Still not satisfied, I attended Pointer & Setter Field Trials and met people like, Jack Pontin, Doc Penny, Bob Buchan, Bob Beard, Bernie Sharp, Michael Starrow and Jack Thompson. Whilst on my way to my third P&S Trial, I took a wrong turn and became lost. As luck would have it, I came upon a farmer driving his tractor up the road and I stopped to ask for directions. After a brief discussion the farmer said, much to my surprise, “Are you Ernie Tawton’s son?” Cutting a long story short, the farmer had been in the Army with my Dad and they were the best of mates. It naturally followed that I had unrestricted shooting rights to his property.

The following Saturday I returned to my new found shooting spot with “Rusty” in tow. By mid-morning I had returned to my car to give Rusty a break and to drop off several rabbits. Just as I was about to finish my coffee up drove Jack Thompson, whom I recognised. Jack convinced me to leave Rusty in the car and that he would work his dogs and I could do all the shooting. Jack simultaneously worked Monty, Marx, Rika, Eva and Faye. To this day, I have yet to see anyone handle multiple dogs at the same time with anywhere the proficiency of Jack Thompson. After I had used up all my ammunition and Jack’s, I headed for home bursting to tell Pam I had found THE DOG!. On the Sunday morning Pam, Marcus (still a babe in arms), and I headed off to the local obedience club so Pam could see Michael Starrow’s dog, Arko. To say Pam was horrified by his size, remember she had grown up with a Cocker Spaniel, would be an understatement.

A part-time job followed to fund the acquisition of Dunfriu Morning Mist in 1967. A short while later I was persuaded to accept the position of Secretary of the GSP Club of Victoria and the rest is history.

RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Gareth Tawton » Fri 20 Feb 2004 10:05 pm

It is with great interest that I note two great omissions from Bob Tawtons little story. First, that not long before his introduction to the Air Training Corp they invented an amazing thing called the wheel :D (bow and arrows were still used for huntingback then). Second, and I think most important his early training was goiing so badly that he passed up on breeding a litter of pups and instead bred a son to throw birds at no charge or choice for the next 15 years.

Gareth Tawton

alias the second son!!!
Gareth Tawton

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Sat 21 Feb 2004 12:21 am

Ah yes, Democritus (460-370), the "Laughing Philosopher" also known as "Wisedom" during his lifetime, although perhaps he ought to be better referred to as the "Deriding Philospher" because of his habit of deriding or laughing at people's folly or vanity.

Mind you, as he is said to have put out his own eyes as an means of thinking more deeply I can't see him having succeeded too far in trialling.

:idea: Or did you mean "Democritus Junior" the name under which Robert Burton's (1577-1640) "The Anatomy of Melancholy" first appeared in 1621?

Julian

PS I think I'm getting the idea of these 'emotion' icons.
Julian Bielewicz

How did I start out in retrieving

Postby Glenice McClure » Sat 21 Feb 2004 1:06 am

Julian - I may be of the fairer sex and I may have had too many champagnes, but I do LURRRRRRVE your first paragraph.
Glenice McClure

Postby Kirsty Blair » Sat 21 Feb 2004 9:24 am

Julian Bielewicz wrote:Mind you, as he is said to have put out his own eyes as an means of thinking more deeply I can't see him having succeeded too far in trialling.

LOL Julian

I'd like to see some of our judges think more deeply......just wait while I find that sharp stick........ :wink:

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Re: How did I start out in retrieving

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Sat 21 Feb 2004 11:49 am

Glenice

You are undoubtedly of the fairer sex (if that is indeed you standing next to the dog) and you may have had too many champagnes, but I do appreciate your comment. Mind you, I personally prefer a tannic Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon with lots of blackberry and/or plum flavours and perhaps a little Mozart in the background.

Visited your website; some smashing dogs in your pack!

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Fri 05 Mar 2004 8:13 pm

quote[LOL Julian]

I had rather hoped Kirsty would provide an explanatory note herself but it seems that this is not to be, so could some kind soul out there please explain to a middle-aged, comparative newcomer to the Internet what a 'LOL' is? Or what it signifies?

I had thought perhaps, 'Lecherous Old Lush' but surely Kirsty can't know me THAT well already. :wink: Thoughts also centred on 'Lentigious Obfuscating Lazzaroni' :evil: but, again, Kirsty can’t have cracked my innermost characteristics that rapidly and besides, it's a long time since my mother accused me of being that.

"Lots Of Love" was another thought but somehow that doesn't quite sit comfortably with the tone of Kirsty's reply :? .

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Kirsty Blair » Fri 05 Mar 2004 9:51 pm

Hi Julian,

Apologies for not explaining the acronym which is one of a number used to abbreviate the reactions of internet users. I didn't want to provide the meaning in brackets in case you thought me patronising.

LOL - Laugh Out Loud
ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing
LMAO - Laughing My A..e Off

or for a very funny joke.... ROFLMAO!

Hope this helps :D
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Fri 05 Mar 2004 10:20 pm

Kirsty Gray wrote:Apologies for not explaining the acronym which is one of a number used to abbreviate the reactions of internet users. I didn't want to provide the meaning in brackets in case you thought me patronising.

LOL - Laugh Out Loud
ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing
LMAO - Laughing My A..e Off

or for a very funny joke.... ROFLMAO!

Thanks Kirsty. Yes it does help. As I said, I am the wrong side of 50, comparatively new to this Internet stuff but enjoying it. I learn something new every day.

Mind you, I don't think I'll be doing any ROFLing for a while; the dogs will jump on me if I get down that low. Besides, getting down that low isn't the real problem, it's getting back up again. :lol:

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Previous

Return to General