Tetanus

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 20 Feb 2004 9:54 pm

Andrew brought home some more bad luck.

Earlier this week our old labrador, Adder, developed a large lump on her mouth. Off to the vet just in case it was an abscess. It turned out to be a spider bite.

This afternoon, Crisp's eye looked a little squinty. She had suffered from an eye abscess in the past. She trained this morning as per usual, ate her dinner and looked fine. This evening after our dinner she started to have spasms. Our vet was closed. Just returned home after leaving her at a 24 hour vet clinic, with suspected tetanus (no obvious wounds).

Good grief these dogs are a worry. I have no problem spending money on our labradors, but my eyes nearly popped outa my head with the quote for an overnight stay.
Julie Cramond

Postby Kirsty Blair » Fri 20 Feb 2004 11:09 pm

:shock: I hope its not tetanus, Julie. I've got everything crossed that she gets well soon.

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Mark Sewell » Fri 20 Feb 2004 11:28 pm

Good luck Julie!

Best wishes

Mark
Mark Sewell

Postby Julie Cramond » Sun 22 Feb 2004 11:18 am

Crisp did not end up with early onset of tetatus, thank heavens. She must have ingested a toxin/poison.

I am going to ask my normal vet about yearly tetanus shots though, as the treatment for tetanus can require over 2 weeks of inpatient care.

Makes sense to me especially as our dogs are trained and trailled in sometimes suspect areas.

Thanks everyone, who PM'd, rang or said a prayer for Crisp. She is bald on one leg but as happy as can be today.

Andrew stayed home yesterday with her and took her to our local vet, as suggested, as I attended a herding seminar. Now, their whistle commands blow my mind. Sound like "sentences" to me. The young baby working border collies with their instinct will keep a smile on my face for a couple of days.
Julie Cramond

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Mon 23 Feb 2004 11:20 am

Hi Julie,

I've been 'off the air' the last few days due to complications following a tooth extraction last Monday :P so have only just read this thread. Boy, you have been in the wars with your girls! Very glad to hear that Crisp and Adder are both OK. Pats all round...you've done well to get through relatively unscathed by the sounds of things.

Hang in there guys. Hope to see you on the weekend. Jury's out on whether I'll be able to make it but I'm certainly trying. Can't make the Fleetwood Mac concert tonight - I've been waiting for ever! :roll: - so I sure as hell plan to get to the trial!!!

Teresap (:lol: this is NOT me at the moment!)
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 23 Feb 2004 3:58 pm

Glad to hear you are up and working the computer - from what Wayne told me yesterday - you have been very sick so glad you must be a little better. Just as well as a brown dog is looking forward to working with you on Sunday! :lol:
Prue Winkfield

Return to General