HEALING WOUNDS

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

HEALING WOUNDS

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 04 Mar 2004 5:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any hidden secrets that will help speed the recovery of wounds. In particular after the intial wound is healed the scar tissue that then remains. In late early Feb Monty slashed his front leg about two inches above the stopper pad on a broken beer bottle while leaping into a dam (4 internal stitches 5 external stitches and $308 on a sunday later). Although the wound has healed well (no infection) he has a large hard mass around the wound area which according to the vet is scar tissue around the tendons. As a result after a bit of work he limps a bit. Swimming has improved this but it all seems a little slow when you want to be back training!

I was lucky enough to go inwith the vet and watch her sew him up so I know there is no tendon damage just the muscle was slashed.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Kirsty Blair » Thu 04 Mar 2004 6:21 pm

Hi Gareth,

I know heaps of horse people who swear by laser therapy. I know its among the list of "alternate therapies" that alot will scoff at but there's some good anecdotal evidence suggesting its benefits. Apparently it speeds up the healing process substantially.

I have used Ian Burns for my horse quite successfully. If you'd like to give him a call to see if he does dogs or knows of someone who does, his info is below.

IAN BURNS Dip Ac.
Equine Therapeutic Services P/L
Acupuncture, Chiropractic and Laser Therapy
Over 16 years experience
All racing, performance and pleasure horses
Sydney Nth West, West and Southern Highlands Serviced
Ph. (02) 4774 8966 0418 224 117
Email: susienian@iprimus.com.au

Also, bear in mind its only been 4 weeks since the injury occurred. He might just need a bit more time.

Best of luck,
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Return to General