New Pup Aboard

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

New Pup Aboard

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Fri 05 Mar 2004 5:28 pm

:D It is approaching 1730 hours local time and the rain is coming down in bucketsful. The wind velocity is increasing steadily towards cyclone levels but I don't give a toss. ZAK arrived last Saturday (28 February), has settled down and is currently chewing a bone on the back verandah.

What else could a chap ask for? :wink:

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Garrick Bridges » Wed 23 Jun 2004 8:50 pm

How is the new pup? Where does he come from?
Garrick Bridges

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Fri 25 Jun 2004 6:30 pm

Garrick Bridges wrote:How is the new pup? Where does he come from?

Garrick

Thank you for the note. I wasn't really expecting anyone to take much notice of my little post last February.

Zak, a black Labrador, is faring extremely well. We initially had a weight concern and as you know that can be potentially serious for Labradors (or any other large breed) down the line but thankfully a regime of controlled food intake has seen him come to the right side of the weight-for-age scale.

I bought Zak (Tallowood Moorlandangler) from Mike Luce, formerly of Lismore, NSW, but currently domicile in Toowoomba, Queensland. His (Zak's not Mike's, although I'm sure Mike does come of irrefutable stock) is from Kaemajae Levi out of Wingsnfur Fibber. Levi is from RT.CH. Truclass Untouchable out of Kaemajae Bashful. Fibber is from RT.CH. Kaemajae Allblack out of Kaemajae My Honey.

Kaemajae appears a number of times on both sides of the pedigree while other notable names include Kelvinhead Kadnook Clyde and RT.CH. Coalsgarth Sandpiper.

With Truclass, Kadnook and Coalsgarth he has some impressive Australian bloodlines while Kelvinhead I believe originates out of Scotland. His paternal grandsire, Thane Temujan Tyler is, as I understand it, from notable USA bloodlines. I would liked to have seen some Drakeshead (England) in there somewhere but I didn't have the time to shop around.

On a point of interest (for those interested) Zak's name is designed to conjure up memories of my former days in Staffodshire, England. Tallowood is of course Mike Luce's kennel prefix. The "Moorland Angler" was Izaac Walton of Staffordshire, author of "The Compleat Angler" (circa 1653); hence "Zak".

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sat 26 Jun 2004 7:08 am

Julian,
seems you have researched his pedigree thouroughly. You might be pleased to know that Glencoin Drummer of Drakeshead features way back in Kelvinhead Kadnook Clydes' pedigree.
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Sat 26 Jun 2004 7:13 pm

Garrick Bridges wrote:Julian,
seems you have researched his pedigree thouroughly. You might be pleased to know that Glencoin Drummer of Drakeshead features way back in Kelvinhead Kadnook Clydes' pedigree.
Garrick

Garrick

I don't pretend to know much about Glencoin Drummer of Drakeshead but I suspect he may have been closely related to Glencoin Digger of Saddleworth, by Drakeshead Tasker out of Glencoin Daffodil. Tasker was by the brilliant FT CH Swinbrook Tan out of FT winner Dipper of Drakeshead.

This is my reincarnation into the sport following an absence of some 16 years. In my earlier 'presence' I ran 'Mr George' by FT CH Veraton Viking (UK) out of Brenjon Jasmine by FT CH Glencoin Digger of Saddleworth out of Brenjon Emma (UK).

Veraton Viking was by FT CH Westead Shot of Drakeshead out of Angeltowns Chalcedory Donna. Jasmine was by FT CH Glencoin Digger of Saddleworth out of Brenjon Emma (by FT CH Holdgate Wilie out of FT CH Drakeshead Thorne).

George was a great dog with the obvious handicap of an inexperienced owner/handler - me! It may also hint at why I mentioned Drakeshead in my earlier post. And while I appreciate that Kelvinhead has Drakeshead in its bloodlines, beyond grandsires does it make much difference?

For all that, I find it both interesting and reassuring to find Australians prepared to discuss gundog bloodlines. It was a thread I shared with the late Peter Halford (formerly of Derbyshire, next door to my own origins in Strafordshire).

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Sat 26 Jun 2004 7:18 pm

For all that, I find it both interesting and reassuring to find Australians prepared to discuss gundog bloodlines. It was a thread I shared with the late Peter Halford (formerly of Derbyshire, next door to my own origins in Strafordshire).

oops! That should read Staffordshire.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sun 27 Jun 2004 12:50 am

Julian,
I am vey much a novice when it comes to retrieving, dogs and pedigrees. I am, however, intertested in all aspects of the retrieving game.
Have you found many differences having returned to retrieving after a prolonged layoff?
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Return to General