Map Request

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Map Request

Postby Brian McMillan » Fri 05 Mar 2004 11:30 pm

Hi all;

Can anyone refer me to a website that would show a good map of Australia. My knowledge of Australia geography is very limited and I would like to know more about it. I know where Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are, but I couldn't tell ya what state any of those cities are in. Anyone seen Mel Gibson's new movie yet? It's created quite a stir over here and is setting all kinds of attendence records. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to once all the crowds die down.

Thanks;
Brian
Brian McMillan

Good Maps of Australia

Postby Robert Tawton » Sat 06 Mar 2004 4:49 pm

Hi Brian,

As a retired engineer I must ask what is your specification for a "good Map of Australia"? :lol: Personally I have maps of Australia loaded into my computer. These were purchased from the Government Survey Office at the cost of $US 75.00 and they provide detail at the 1:250,000 level as well as occupying nearly 1GB on my hard drive! Using the Google search engine I entered Maps Australia and this produced an enormous amount of detail, which I suspect will meet your requirements.

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 08 Mar 2004 9:24 am

Hi Brian

There is an excellent map of Australia with all major towns marked on it at the web site of one of our large motoring organisations: http://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/go/maps/maps_australia.shtml

It takes a while to load, but is a pdf and can be saved to your computer for later use.

There will be a geography test in two weeks :wink:

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Brian McMillan » Mon 08 Mar 2004 11:36 am

Thank you Bob and Jason: Bob, I had a little laugh, at my expense, at your post. me, not even knowing there are such maps as you possess. I surely don't need one at 75 dollars (US), or even 75 cents.

I have tried web searches in the past and about the best maps I could come up with showed the basic shape of Austrailia and the location of Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne. So, therefore Jason; I thank you for the web address you provided.

I'll get it downloaded and do my best to learn something of Oz. Ask me anything in two weeks, except maybe where Jimboomba is!

Brian
Brian McMillan

Postby Laraine Frawley » Mon 08 Mar 2004 2:15 pm

Hi Brian

Another good site is http://www.wilmap.com.au/ausmaps/ausmap.html and you can zoom in to any area for detail.

I am impressed you know there is such a place as Jimboomba. I would expect a lot of Aussies wouldn't know where it is. The test will be a lot harder now.

Laraine
Laraine Frawley

Maps

Postby Robert Tawton » Mon 08 Mar 2004 5:35 pm

Hi Brian.

Just to put all this wonderful advice into perspective, Jason, Laraine and myself are all members of the ACT Gundog Society's Training Group!
Perhaps there is a little rivalry going on in the background? Now all we have to decide is, who is going to set your test? :D :lol:

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Brian McMillan » Tue 09 Mar 2004 2:08 am

"Now all we have to decide is, who is going to set your test?"

I don't know if I get a vote in the matter of my test, but I don't think I want Bob with his maps to administer the test. :D

I printed a map from the website Jason provided and here's How I use it. When someone writes a post, I look at the location, then find it on my map. It tells me a little somethng more of the person. If I see, for example, some one from Perth is going to run a weekend trial in Toowoomba; then I know that that person has the trial bug real bad.

Loraine; the maps you provided were helpful as well because they gave me some information about the indivdual states. I don't know where Jimboomba is, nor have I yet to locate it on one of the maps.

Later;
Brian[/quote]
Brian McMillan

Jimbooba

Postby Robert Tawton » Tue 09 Mar 2004 7:53 am

Hi Brian,

JIMBOOMBA is located at 27 deg 49.810 min South 153 deg 01.789 min East

In plain English this means that Jimbooba is located on Highway 13 and 38 km (as the crow flies) almost due South of Brisbane. Alternatively, South Stradbroke Island is located 53 km SE from Brisbane and Jimboomba is 38km due West of South Bradbroke Island. A number of Trials are held in the Beaudesert area, which is 18km due South from Jimbooba.

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Re: Maps

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 09 Mar 2004 9:07 am

Robert Tawton wrote:Just to put all this wonderful advice into perspective, Jason, Laraine and myself are all members of the ACT Gundog Society's Training Group!
Perhaps there is a little rivalry going on in the background?

No rivalry Bob, just thought your GIS tool (while very useful) was a bit of overkill for Brian's purpose. :wink:

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Jimboomba

Postby Alan Donovan » Thu 11 Mar 2004 8:25 am

Hi Brian

In response to your deep and abiding interest in Jimboomba - I happened to be training my dog down Jimboomba way yesterday, and am now in a position to email exciting photos of the actual place. Email me privately for photos by return.........

Offer open to anyone else who feels the need to know more about Jimboomba

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Return to General