Game other than pigeons

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Thu 11 Mar 2004 2:27 pm

Excuse my ignorance but since I haven't run in Restricted for a number of years now, can anyone recall game other than pigeons being used at that level? Is there any restriction on the use of game other than pigeons in Restricted Stakes?

I personally don't have any issue with rabbit/hare/duck being used - my young dog has experienced them all without any hassles. I am simply curious as I am about to run him in Restricted at Easter and this thread has brought the topic to mind. :lol:

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Game

Postby Alan Donovan » Thu 11 Mar 2004 2:44 pm

Hi Theresa

I can't recall any game other than pigeons being used in Restricted in Qld - but there is nothing in the rules to limit it.

Having read your query I was tempted to lob a hare out of a thrower in my next Novice judging appointment (in the interests of developing my "reputation") - but unfortunately it would be in contravention of Rule 1, in that it would not emulate as closely as possible conditions which would be found while shooting. Unless low flying hares are common in your neck of the woods. Let me know if you spot one.

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Thu 11 Mar 2004 2:52 pm

Thanks Alan. I just thought it might be wise to give it some thought.

As for low-flying hares, can't honestly say I've seen any round here. Now if you were to ask me if pigs might fly..... :wink: :wink:.....

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Kirsty Blair » Thu 11 Mar 2004 3:27 pm

Hi Teresa,

We've had rabbits used for blinds in Restricted in NSW. Not often though. I don't recall any of the dogs having any difficulty with the actual retrieve.

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Thu 11 Mar 2004 3:34 pm

Thanks Kirsty. That answers my question then.

I've found that our dogs generally think picking up rabbits or hares is something pretty special! :lol: They just love them... Maybe if there are enough of the furry little critters at the Easter trial, we'll be lucky enough to get one for a blind (or two?) :wink:

If that's the case, then never mind Easter! Jock will think it's Christmas!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 11 Mar 2004 4:56 pm

Teresa,

As Kirsty said over the years we have had rabbits in Restricted. In the ACT Champ last year we also had Hares for every dog in the last run. As Alan said, I haven't seen Rabbits fly or live in the top of trees :wink: So I don't think they will ever be an issue for novice dogs. I think the real test in having rabbits is the dogs ability to carry them properly as distinct from picking them up. Many dogs seem to need a bit of practice at balancing a hare or rabbit properly when carrying it. So whether it is road kill or freezer filler it is always worth giving the dog a run on one every now and then.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Previous

Return to General