Make sure Mr Average has a good time

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Make sure Mr Average has a good time

Postby Maureen Cooper » Sun 28 Mar 2004 9:50 pm

The following article is extracted from one sent to me from Lyn Strang in WA and published in Feathers & Fur Magazine, written by Graham Eames whom I thank for his permission to quote. In every case where the word shoot, shooter and shooting are mentioned substitute trial,trialler etc.

"Central to the objective of promoting the sport and of increasing its popularity, it is imperative to encourage the "middle of the road" shooters. Mr Average comes along to grounds to shoot for entertainment, we must make sure that he is entertained.

In a Championship with 500 participants, 30 will be in the top classes and 50 fairly close behind, all with a chance of winning a medal. But the event is only possible because of the other remaining 420 participants who come along to enjoy the sport and to improve their shooting. They have no great aspirations of becoming a State, National, International or World Champion.

These shooters must at all costs never be disheartened or driven away! They should never be made to feel unimportant or only there to help finance the shoot and pay for the trophies of the champions.

The acumen of the top shots and the champions will always ensure that they come out on top so let's make sure that Mr Average always has a good time". End.

Graham, this puts trialling and triallers into the correct perspective as I know all too well also, that many Novice and Restricted triallers feel they are just there to give some All Age competitors a Stake so they can advance to "where they belong" Yes, that has been said to me! It is very important that when All Age competitors have to begin again in the lower Stakes that they converse with those competitors in the Stake, help them, encourage them and make them feel real people and not just there to make the numbers up.

Ladies, you can also substitute Mrs or Ms because a lot of those top male handlers would not be there without you doing their cooking, shopping, cleaning, ironing etc etc and even throwing birds!!!

TTFN
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 29 Mar 2004 11:40 am

Hi Maureen,

Well said !! I would agree that most competitors would come under the "mr or ms Average" umbrella. I think all competitors are aiming at getting a title for their competing dog, but how many consciously aim at achieving a National Champion status?

And, on the female front; in W.A. without the female handlers, there probably wouldn't be any trials held. Lady (no quips from the males here, about using the term "loosely"), handlers make up the majority of each field from Novice through to All Age. The girls are also a major part of the work force in the field.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 29 Mar 2004 3:05 pm

Great post Maureen. Mr & Mrs Average start off by wanting to have a good time with their dogs and see what they can do and it is only after a while when they start finishing every stake that they start to think about titles (in my opinion). My pet bitch - all the emphasis in practice is at AA and above level - lip service mainly to the rest. As for ladies - yesterday out of 16 entries in AA - nine finishers of which 5 were ladies! (naturally the top 4 were the usual 'boys') BUT sooner or later that will change :lol:
Prue Winkfield

Mrs & Mr Average

Postby Joe Law » Mon 29 Mar 2004 8:42 pm

Maureen, Fully agree with the Mrs and Mr Average sentiments. Kerry, you keep telling us about your goal in life: Let's know when you have made progress because the mere males in this game will no longer be able to compete. Cheers, Joe
Joe Law

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 29 Mar 2004 10:25 pm

Hi Joe,

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, am I looming as a threat to you MM's ?????

Just kidding.........really, I would love to aspire to being the "God" my dogs sometimes see me as, then I am jolted down to earth, when I get the Paws UP from one of them. Mind you that is usually a labrador....the golden girl still thinks I'm tops.

We all need an aim in life, I suppose, and it would be nice to think I never made mistakes, always new exactly what I was doing and exuded confidence in every step, word and whistle. Dream away......

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Return to General