Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials For Gundogs

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials For Gundogs

Postby Robert Tawton » Tue 30 Nov 2010 2:08 pm

Good afternoon All,

RULES FOR THE CONDUCT OF RETRIEVING TRIALS FOR GUNDOGS.

Delegates to the October 2010 ANKC Conference ratified three changes to the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs viz. Rule 8(k) - Definition of Game, Rule 109 - Retrieving Trial Champion and new Rule 113 – Qualifying Certificate.

It is recommended that all competitors and Judges refer to the ANKC website http://www.ankc.org.au (under About ANKC; Rules; Retrieving & Field) in order that they may acquaint themselves with these changes, which will become effective 1Jan 2011.

Kindest regards,
Robert Tawton
Chairperson NRAFT
Robert Tawton

Re: Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials For Gundogs

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 30 Nov 2010 11:27 pm

interesting Bob
so now 2 thirds in a national or one second in a national will give u a title
am i correct??
u no longer need to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll have to think about this rule change
the definition of game seems to b a good step in the right direction but must we include Quail???????
i am bound to be howled down on this one
Peter Betteridge

Postby Robert Tawton » Wed 01 Dec 2010 8:37 am

Hi Peter,

Yes Peter you are correct, it is now possible for a dog to become a RT Champion by gaining two 3rd places in National Championships. The change to Rule 109 (effective 1 Jan 2011) is purely editorial since the decision to award 18, 12 and 6 Championship Points to dogs placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the National Champiionship became effective 1 Jan 2010.

Also please note that in the past it was possible for a dog to become a RT Champion with two 2nd Places gained in either National and/or State Championships. Put simply the majority view of NRAFT Delegates was that 3rd Place in the National Championship is at least equal to a win in an All Age Stake and that 2nd place in the National is equivalent to winning a State Championship. I suspect that you would support these assessments?

Kindest regards, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 01 Dec 2010 5:11 pm

i would like to think about it some more but u are right Bob i basically support the initative
i agree that a national third is at least equal to an all age win ,probably it is a far greater acheivement in almost all cases
but i can see how some people would argue that to be a champion a dog must WIN
on balance i have to agree with NRAFT decision
Peter Betteridge

Postby Lynette Lennell » Wed 01 Dec 2010 7:45 pm

Hi Bob

I also note with Interest the rules for "Retrieving Ability Tests for Gundogs"

Does this replace what was known as "Gundog Working Tests" and if so will passes in this qualify as passes in the New "Ret Ability Test for Gundogs".

Congratulations to the NRAFT for introducing this New Title. I look forward to bringing my Old Boy "Chester" out of retirement to give this a go.

Regards
Lyn
:P
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Robert Tawton » Thu 02 Dec 2010 8:17 am

Hi Lyn,

Please see also my earlier response posted in the Retriever Ability Test Forum.
The answer to your first question is that ANKC Retriever Ability Tests are designed to replace/supersede events formerly known as Gundog Working Tests that were conducted under local State Rules. By operating under the ANKC banner we have introduced a uniform set of exercises which facilitates total transportability of achievements from one State to another. It is expected that GWTs will be phased out and replaced by RATGs and with Titles being on offer it is hoped that the level of participation will also see a dramatic increase. In the longer term it is expected that there will be a flow-on effect that will benefit Retrieving Trials.
Past achievement in GWTs will not be recognised because of the lack of uniformity across the Nation, coupled with the fact that several RATG exercises differ from those generally used in GWTs.
Eligibility requirements for RATGs are specified in Section 2 of the new Rules.

Eligibility – Novice
To be eligible to compete in a Novice Retrieving Ability Test, a dog must not have received three passes in Novice Retrieving Ability Tests under at least two Judges or gained any of the following Titles as defined in the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs (effective 1 Jan 2010) – DM, CM, QND, NRD, RRD, AARD, RT CH, Nat RT CH, Grand RT CH.

Eligibility – Open
To be eligible to compete in an Open Retrieving Ability Test, a dog must have received three passes in Novice Retrieving Ability Tests or have gained any of the following Titles as defined in the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs (effective 1 Jan 2010) – DM, CM, QND, NRD, RRD, AARD, RT CH, Nat RT CH, Grand RT CH.

Kindest regards, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Postby Dodo Kelly » Sat 04 Dec 2010 1:16 pm

re: Lyn's query about RATG "Retrieving Ability Test for Gundogs".

Here in Victoria on 12th Dec Trevor Stevens, Margaret Hall & others will attend the Big Day Out for Dogs at KCC Park, to explain the new rules.

Hopefully every man & his Gundog will be there to learn about the two qualification title, NRA & ORA, available from 2011.

Dodo
Dodo Kelly

Postby Peter Betteridge » Sat 04 Dec 2010 9:42 pm

i have just read thru and studied the new RATG rules
this is a wonderful iniative from the NRAFT (i presume) and a huge step in the right direction
congrats to whoever had the resolve to see this thru
lets hope we see lots of RATG events at out trials next year .NSW has led the way and run one at the WGC of nsw trial weekend at branxton
i particularily welcome the inclusion of associate gundogs. i am not sure how that is defined state by state but i am hopeing that the definition is a loose one and we are very inclusive
it is a wonderful way to introduce new people to our sport WELL DONE
Peter Betteridge

Return to General