NEW PUPPIES INTO TRIALING

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

NEW PUPPIES INTO TRIALING

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 07 Dec 2010 1:29 pm

Who has a new pup that they are planning on trialing next year for the first time ? Do you have a preferred age for your pup to begin trialing ?

At what age is your present older trial dog before you consider getting another pup to follow on ?
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Re: NEW PUPPIES INTO TRIALING

Postby Lynette Lennell » Wed 08 Dec 2010 7:12 am

That's an interesting Question Kerry,

I am keen to find out what the more experienced handlers thoughts are.
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Joanne Hagan » Thu 09 Dec 2010 4:02 pm

I have a new pup that I am hoping to trial at some point. He is now 10 months old and unfortunately his training is somewhat behind due to a few mishaps this year but hoping to get into the swing of things from early next year - more recently I have had an injury that has prevented me from being able to train at all (very frustrating!). He is my first dog that I have seriously kept with an aim of trialling him, I have competed in a few novice trials with his great grandfather and have done GWT with all my dogs in the past as well, but am hoping to do a bit better with this youngster. Can't answer your other questions Kerry as not applicable in my case.
Joanne Hagan
FOURJAYS GSPs - for showing, for trialling, for loving!
Canberra, Australia
Joanne Hagan

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 10 Dec 2010 10:09 am

Well I thought this might stir up the pot a bit, particularly as at this time of year as usual, the board goes extremely quiet. Either everyone goes on holiday, or maybe the computer is off. Anyway, I will start off the topic by answering from my own point of view.
1. My pups have all been between 15 months and 24 months of age when they begin trialing. Not always because that is an age that I like to start, but because of their birthdays,and, our season here only being five months long, the pups are not old enough to compete until the next season. I do not have a new pup for next season, but started one this season.

2. Apart from my first retriever, Tosca, I have only ever planned a new pup once, and at that time my two older working dogs were 11 yrs old and six years old. Since then I have acquired two more unplanned pups, with no more envisaged for a couple of years.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Peter Betteridge » Fri 10 Dec 2010 9:33 pm

i have a 5 year old dog and will wait for another 3 years before getting another pup unless something outstanding pops up in the meantime
i believe that it is necessary to spend big hours with a pup for the first 2 years and i have limited time.
i will never start a pup trialling under 18 months unless i have question mark on the pups ability. i am to old and to cranky to waste my time training a dog that will freak out under the trial conditions and i refuse to spend big hours training a dog that cant damn well mark
Peter Betteridge

Return to General