Tike - Gr Rt Ch Reveirter Jet Kite

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Tike - Gr Rt Ch Reveirter Jet Kite

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 22 Feb 2011 1:55 pm

TIKE - GR RT CH REVEIRTER JET KITE 1/1/1997 – 21/2/2011
The old boy had been limping for a couple of weeks, he had come out of his run and had a mad 5 minutes acting as a 4 year old instead of 14 years! We took him to the vet and chiropractor and indications were that it was more than likely a soft tissue injury. His limp was not improving so we decided to investigate further, x-rays yesterday showed it was osteosarcoma, the bone was so damaged that he had fractured his leg – there was no hope of improvement so we made the kindest decision we could.

Tike is now with Tess and Pax, our groomsman and bridesmaids reunited and resting with the big yellow boy Tug.

Tike's trial history

Grand Retrieving Trial Champion Reveirter Jet Kite “Tike” was born on 1 January 1997 and retired from trialling on 3 November 2008 at the Tasmanian Retrieving Trial Championship two months short of the age of twelve. “Tike” was proudly trialled by Kate and Noel Eltringham and handled by Noel.

“Tike’s” retrieving trial career commenced on 15 March 1998 at a Novice Stake conducted by the Labrador Retriever Club of Victoria. Whilst having no success at this trial “Tike” had soon gained his NRD title by winning a Restricted Stake at a Golden Retriever Club of South Australia trial conducted on 24 May 1998. It took “Tike” 11 months and 11 restricted stake competitions to gain his RRD title. At his first entry in an All Age Stake “Tike” received second place being beaten by 2 points by the ultimate winner. He ultimately competed in 170 All Age Stakes for 105 placings, comprising 46 wins, 42 seconds and 17 thirds.

From a total of 44 starts in Championship Stakes “Tike” won four and came second in another five retrieving trial championships. Tike also placed in five National Retrieving Trial Championships. In total Tike went on to place 25 times in State and National Retrieving Trial Championships.

On 17 April 2005 “Tike” gained the title of Grand Retrieving Trial Champion becoming the first dog in Australia to qualify for this title.

In total “Tike” gained a total of 354 championship points from his competition in All Age, State and National Retrieving Trial Championships.

“Tike” also won the Victorian Canine Association Retrieving Trial Dog of the Year three times and won the Victorian Gundog Club Retrieving Trial Dog of the Year five times.

In addition to “Tike” having an outstanding and lengthy career in retrieving trials his qualities are now being passed on to his descendants who are currently competing in retrieving trials across Australia.
Kate Eltringham

Re: Tike - Gr Rt Ch Reveirter Jet Kite

Postby Maggie Hankinson » Tue 22 Feb 2011 3:53 pm

My sympathy to you both on the loss of a very special boy.

I remember Tike catching my eye at the WA National in 1999, where I believe he was youngest dog to complete the trial. He visited WA again several times to compete in State and National Championships so we had plenty of opportunity to see him in action over the years, always a gentleman and a true Champion.

Farewell Tike.

Maggie
Maggie Hankinson

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 22 Feb 2011 5:29 pm

Sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with you Noel and Kate.

Take care, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Brian Kennedy » Tue 22 Feb 2011 6:35 pm

Noel & Kate, sorry to hear the news of the passing of a great retriever. Apart from his superb work at trials, one of my favourite memories of Tike was sitting in a hide at Lake George SA with Noel, watching a dog displaying talent we all wish our duck dogs had.
Brian.
Brian Kennedy

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 22 Feb 2011 6:52 pm

So sad Kate, always hard when they go, but he did have a wonderful life doing just what he loved. Thoughts are with you and Noel
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 22 Feb 2011 7:03 pm

So sad to hear this news. My deepest sympathy to Noel and Kate. Tike's accomplishments were many and he was a dog any one of us would be proud to call our mate.
Sounds like he was a fighter to the end, and so stoic it breaks your heart. Rest easy boy, your job is done.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Tue 22 Feb 2011 7:28 pm

Heartbreaking news. My thoughts are with you both.
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Peter and Helen Eley » Tue 22 Feb 2011 7:43 pm

What a Grand Old Man he was. Sleeping at the foot of our bed he even rivalled me (Peter) in the snoring competition. Tike was a great friend who always greeted those he knew with a lot of energy and Joy. The Flatties loved him and so did we. He sleeps now without the pain that a tough dog so often conceals. We will miss him.
Peter and Helen Eley

Postby Judy Pannett » Tue 22 Feb 2011 8:39 pm

It never gets easier to lose our best mates, he has given you many wonderful moments in retrieving & been a loving companion at the same time.
Thinking of you.
Judy
Judy Pannett

Postby Jean Bird » Tue 22 Feb 2011 9:30 pm

My heartfelt sympathy is with you Noel and Kate on the passing of Tike. He was a truly remarkable labrador and did you proud. He will always be with you in your heart. Rest in peace Tike. I will always remember him too.
Jean Bird
Jean Bird

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 23 Feb 2011 9:30 am

Our heartfelt sympathy is with you Noel and Kate on the passing of Tike. Tikes consistency was something to be proud of. He certainly won me a few dollars over the years at the Easter Calcutta. It was always a pleasure to out bid Kate and take some money thanks to Tike.

Gareth & Siobhan
Gareth Tawton

Postby Howard » Wed 23 Feb 2011 10:53 am

I'm sorry.

It's hard when the old, special ones pass.
Howard Niemi

Enjoy the journey....the destination isn't all that it's cracked up to be! Rabbi 2003
Howard

Postby Amand Golle » Wed 23 Feb 2011 12:25 pm

Noel & Kate
"Tike" was certainly a great Retrieving Champion in every way. He was always extremely competitive and has now earned his place of rest.

Our condolences to you both.

Amand and Georgina
Amand Golle

Postby norma harry » Wed 23 Feb 2011 12:51 pm

Kate & Noel, it is always hard to let go, rest peacefully now 'Tike'
there will be lots of retrieving days for you over the Rainbow Bridge

'The Golden Girls' Norma & Margaret
norma harry

Postby Rob & Sue » Wed 23 Feb 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Noel and Kate, sorry to hear of your loss, "you can shed tears that he has gone or you can smile because he had lived & memories live on".
regards Sue and Rob Boodnikoff
Rob & Sue

Next

Return to General