Gun licences at trials

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Gun licences at trials

Postby Yvonne Butler » Mon 03 May 2004 11:35 pm

Hi All,
As a novice to retrieving trials I was after an answer to a question about gun licences at trials.
I am in the process of getting a licence but it may only happen after the next trial I'm wanting to enter, does anyone know what I can do if I want to trial without a licence in Queensland?
I have heard there could be some paper work that needs to be completed before the trial and if this is the case can I help the club by getting it all organised prior to the trial?
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Yvonne Butler
Bundaberg, QLD
Yvonne Butler

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 06 May 2004 5:44 pm

Yvonne,

In most states and with most clubs if you don't have a licence and want to run in Novice the clubs will allow and provide a gunner for you. It would be worth confirmimg this with the club before you put your entry in. I haven't yet seen anyone prevented from running because they didn't have a licence.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Gun Licences

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 07 May 2004 9:50 am

Hi Yvonne,

I note that you are based in Bundaberg, so I therefore suggest that you clarify your position with Merrilyn Walsh, Secretary of the Wide Bay Retriever Club of Bundaberg (Merrilyn Walsh [avokahlabs@austarnet.com.au]. The WBRC are scheduled to conduct Retrieving Trial over the June long weekend.

I also understand that Qld based Clubs conducting Retrieving Trials have sought and gained Police agreement to having the guns used at Retrieving Trials modified in such a way that they can nolonger function as a firearm and that persons using these modified guns at Retrieving Trials do not require a Shooters Licence. I know that the Schedules etc for the forthcoming QLD State Retrieving Trial Championship and the National Championship (to be hosted by QLD) advise competitors that Licences will not be required. What I do not know is whether or not the WBRC has modified its guns to the comply the QLD Police requirements. In that case Gareth's advice would be relevent.

Alan Donovan [adonovan@powerup.com.au] and Georgina Golle (hottropics@bhmco.com.au) would be good contacts for overall advice on the QLD situation.

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Return to General