Duck Opening

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Duck Opening

Postby Rob Clay » Sun 20 Mar 2011 8:12 pm

5 bags (50 birds - mostly Chestnut Teal) shot with my old man, brother-in-law and young nephews. Great shoot, special memories. Many birds fell in heavy cubungi cover and were only retrieved thanks to the talented and determined efforts by the dogs.
Rob Clay

Re: Duck Opening

Postby Rob Clay » Mon 21 Mar 2011 8:54 am

I received an email asking about the fate of the birds pictured. Thought it might be worth posting my reply here also.

Cheers,
Rob

I’d just like to reassure you that wild duck tastes delicious and every one of those birds will be savored. The aroma of cooking ducks will have us sitting around telling yarns and swapping lies about who shot what and whose dog performed the best. It becomes far more than just food when you hunt it yourself. Sharing the hunt, then sharing the food, it’s a powerful emotion. It reaches back through the eons, getting to core of what it means to be human. It’s a tribal thing I guess. It’s hard for me to put into words, but it’s a powerful thing. My religion.

PS - I don't shoot anything (apart from foxes and feral cats) that I don't intend to eat.
Rob Clay

Postby Diane McCann » Mon 21 Mar 2011 6:59 pm

Looks like a geat day out - and duck is my favourite food!
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Rob Clay » Mon 28 Mar 2011 6:33 pm

Dust cavity with course black pepper, stuff with quartered onions and oranges. Baste with bourbon and marmalade glaze. Cook on the Weber for 45 min. Lovely!!
Rob Clay

Return to General