new Flat coated retriever

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

new Flat coated retriever

Postby Jason Kite » Sat 07 May 2011 5:12 pm

Afternoon all,

Bit of an introduction and question.

We are about to get our first flat coated retriever in the next few weeks. It will be a yellow boy as we have no desire to show, our focus is on function and the need to fit in with the others pups in our backyard (alaskan malamutes)...from our research we have been unable to see any major downfall from having a yellow one..other than not showing so no biggy there. The reason for a flat coat is too long and if I write it out will just be confusing...but no regrets with the decision. It will be used primarily for retrieving waterfowl when I go hunt them and maybe some minor tracking when I hunt deer (read, dog friend to come along for the ride) though retrieving trials do look interesting!

Apart from joining ACT gundogs society (which I will be doing having already gone out to a training day...people must have thought I was strange as I was the only one there without a dog),pre buying a several of dokken dummies etc and usual dog gear is there anything extra I need to be looking at?

cheers
Jason Kite

Re: new Flat coated retriever

Postby Di Lynch » Mon 09 May 2011 9:14 am

Hi can you put a photo on when you get the pup, should be lots of fun. cheers di
Di Lynch

Postby Marilyn Dawson » Tue 10 May 2011 3:04 pm

There are no health problems associated to just yellow Flatcoats, just not a recognised colour for the breed so there are a couple of limitations, cant be shown or bred from and go on the Limited Register.
Not sure why they are not a recognised colour. have a nice silky coat just like the Liver and Black Flatcoats.

Fun dogs and I am sure that you will enjoy owning one. Is he from South Australia?

I started doing retrieving with my Liver Flatcoat half way though last season and we are both really enjoying it.

Good luck with your Flatcoat.

Marilyn
Marilyn Dawson

Postby Jason Kite » Wed 11 May 2011 7:38 am

Yes picking him up from SA.
Jason Kite

Postby Jason Kite » Sat 04 Jun 2011 2:08 pm

As requested, a pic of our new FCR. His already off to a flying start with some essential reading for training!
Attachments
Getting in some background reading.jpg
Getting in some background reading.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
Jason Kite

Postby Diane McCann » Sun 05 Jun 2011 5:38 pm

So Cute!!!

Good luck with him and hope to see you at a trial
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Mon 04 Jul 2011 4:47 pm

Good luck with your new flat coat puppy.
Great hunting dogs. I'm sure life will never be dull.

Regards
Wayne.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Wendy Michalk » Mon 04 Jul 2011 7:32 pm

I have taken over the training of a Flatcoat this year taking her into All Age after Marg had run her in Novice & Restricted & wish I had discovered the fun of this breed a lot sooner.I mostly have run GSP's but have run a Lab & Golden I find Billie is stubborn & willful but a huge pleasure to work, good luck look forward to seeing how your little one develops .
cheers Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 08 Jul 2011 10:29 am

Hi Jason,

Wayne and I had Flatcoats in the past and trialled them in years gone by. They are a fun breed, slow to mature and often quite wilful so you need to be quite inventive in your training. :lol: Having said that, ours were consummate duck dogs with excellent noses and drive and if duck hunting is your main interest you will have a ball. We did lots of duck hunting over ours. Wayne also used to stalk deer (sambar) and used our boy Woody on many occasions for tracking with success. They have amazing noses and once they mature, settle into the job very well.

I love your yellow boy - he is very cute. I think the blacks are adorable as babies but your boy is even cuter! As a FCR owner, the most commonly asked question is normally "Is that a black Golden Retriever?????" :lol: At least there's no fear of you being asked that one!

Good luck and have fun. Sounds like you have your focus in the right place. Please keep us posted on your boy's progress.

Cheers,

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Return to General