Retired Whistle "Monty"

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Retired Whistle "Monty"

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 14 Sep 2011 8:44 pm

Siobhan and I have decided to retire Nat and GR Rt Ch Kadnook Pride ov Cork CM - MONTY (at least from trialling)

It is hard to believe that Monty has been trialling for more than a decade having competed in his first Novice at 9 months with his last trial the 2011 National at eleven years.

By the end of his career Monty had in excess of 350 championship points. He won his first state title just before his 3rd birthday. By the end of his career he had won 10 championships including the 2009 National and had been the runner up in a further 10 championships. Monty is the only dog in Australian retrieving history to have won every state championship as well as the National. However our proudest achievement has been Monty's record in the "National". Monty started 9 Nationals failing to complete the 2003 national in Tassie. However he then successfully completed the next 8 nationals in a row finishing in the top 5 in 7 of those trials.

Hi soundness, drive and willingness to always give his best is a credit to his breeders.

It has been hard explaining to Mont that he is 11 now, that the mind is willing but body not quite so able. We are sure he will enjoy a few more retrieves over the rest of his life while he also enjoys the lifestyle of indoor living and being able to break to shot for that next duck!!!!

Gareth Siobhan and Riley
Gareth Tawton

Re: Retired Whistle "Monty"

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 14 Sep 2011 9:00 pm

A truly magnificent record and a very well deserved retirement. Most of us will spend our lives dreaming of owning a dog as good
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Heather Ellis » Thu 15 Sep 2011 2:30 pm

Will miss not seeing him at the starting blocks each year!
He'll be sorely missed but will get to enjoy a healthy retirement!!
Regards
Heather
Heather Ellis

Postby Susie Partridge » Thu 15 Sep 2011 4:27 pm

A wonderful record for a wonderful dog, you must be so proud of him
Susie
Susie Partridge

Postby Peter Betteridge » Thu 15 Sep 2011 6:14 pm

congratulations on his record gareth u and monty have been a wonderful team
Peter Betteridge

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Fri 16 Sep 2011 2:32 am

Enjoy retirement Monty!

Lara Sedgmen

Postby Jack Lynch » Fri 16 Sep 2011 9:23 am

A pleasure to watch, a privelidge to judge and a damned hard team to get the better of.Kindest regards to you and your family from Jack and Christine.
Jack Lynch

Postby Judy Pannett » Fri 16 Sep 2011 9:45 pm

Monty is truely a great dog, wonderful nature & superb drive & ability, it has been wonderful to watch him work!
Well done to such a great team, enjoy your retirement Monty.

Judy & Josh
Judy Pannett

Postby Wayne Poholke » Fri 16 Sep 2011 10:59 pm

As we acknowledge this wonderful champion and his astonishing CV, we are proud to be represented by such a dog who epitomises all things Kadnook. He excells in all areas of type, temperament and soundness whilst exhibiting the drive and sagacity needed to be a top performer, he proves that he is an allround ideal Labrador as a team member with Gareth when working and a family member at all times, a great shooting companion and just an allround dream come true. The dog of a lifetime. Gareth and Siobhan have provided him with the opportunity to compete fearlessly at all levels and he has rewarded them one hundred fold.
May his retirement be as fulfilling as his career has been, we are privileged to know him and have his progeny within our breeding team. He inspires us to continue and hope for another of his ilk.

Wayne & Jill
Wayne Poholke

Postby Di Rapson » Tue 20 Sep 2011 10:39 am

Congratulations Gareth, on the wonderful career you've shared with Monty.I had the pleasure of watching him work at the State and Nationals last year - quite awe-inspiring! I am just starting out with a new boy and if he achieves even one hundredth of the things Monty has achieved, I will be one very proud owner/handler.
Well done Monty. Enjoy your well earned retirement.
Di Rapson

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 20 Sep 2011 11:07 am

I'm sure Monty won't say no to laying in front of a nice fire in winter.
Congratulations on all his achievements in retrieving. Always a joy to watch and such a sweet dog as well.

Kerry & Ian
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Allan Bartram » Tue 20 Sep 2011 4:53 pm

Gareth,
After watching Monty's performance at the National we wonder if anyone has told him yet? We think you should clarify your statements......he may well be retired from COMPETION but we think you've got "Buckleys chance" of keeping him away from the duck swamps !!!
Seriously, a wonderful record for a wonderful dog ,always a pleasure to watch and judge, one couldn't ask more from their "best mate". Enjoy your retirement Monty.

Allan & Catherine
Allan Bartram

Postby Joe Vella » Sun 25 Sep 2011 12:02 pm

Gareth and Siobhan,

I would think that when you reflect back to Monty’s achievements over the years as a Retrieving Trial dog it would make you feel proud and very satisfied that you have had the pleasure to own and work with such a wonderful Champion dog.

As has been suggested there is a life for our trial dogs after retirement, Garreth I am sure that you will sort that one out for Monty.

Good one Monty you deserve all of the accolades.

Joe and Jane
Joe Vella

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 26 Sep 2011 9:25 am

Last week I was priviledged to see where Monty sleeps and a little of his current lifestyle - definitely the life he should become accustomed to 8)
Prue Winkfield

Postby Maggie Hankinson » Wed 28 Sep 2011 11:31 am

Congratulations Gareth, that is certainly an outstanding record for a dog and handler to achieve, the next dog has some big paws to fill! Enjoy your retirement Monty you have more than earned it.
Maggie
Maggie Hankinson

Return to General