Appropriate size for dog runs

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Appropriate size for dog runs

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 26 May 2004 2:42 pm

Hi all

I am in the process of upgrading my dog runs and would appreciate advice on a couple of questions which are:

1. What is the minimum size for each run?
2. What is the best shape for them (ie long thin or square)?

My plans so far are for three individual mesh runs with a solid galv roof and a kennel for each dog attached to the side. I was thinking the size of the mesh run would be 3m x 1.5m.

My dogs are excercised twice daily, but are in the runs all day while I am at work. They are about 25kg lab females.

I am not aware of any requirements under legislation, however the ACT Government Codes of Practice relating to animal boarding establishments require kennels (including sleeping quarters and runs) for dogs which are exercised twice daily to be 3 square metres, with a minimum dimension (width/length) of 0.9 m.

Thanks, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 26 May 2004 4:10 pm

Hi Jason, my runs are 6 metres long by 1.5 metres wide. About 1.2m of the length is taken up by the kennel and the rest is covered concrete runs. These pens comfortably hold two GSP's per run.

I feel that 1.5m is the minimum width as it allows for the dog to turn around easily without treading in its droppings (although mine seem to delight in this pass time anyway). I like to see enough length so that the dog can jog a few paces before reaching the end and 3 metres would be the bare minimum for this. A little longer would be nice if space and money enables.

Diane
Diane McCann

Dog runs

Postby Garrick Bridges » Thu 27 May 2004 7:21 pm

Hi Jason,
I have just built 3 new runs, just a little smaller than the dimensions you gave. The dogs are exercised twice a day. I wouldn't want the runs too large as I don't particularly want the dogs to have enough room to run.
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Return to General