Pigeons from Victoria

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Pigeons from Victoria

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Fri 14 Oct 2011 9:57 pm

NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) has introduced a series of new biosecurity measures to protect the State’s pigeon industry, following the detection of Avian Paramyxovirus in a number of pigeon flocks in Victoria.

“The NSW Government has moved quickly to declare Avian Paramyxovirus as a notifiable emergency animal disease and has banned pigeon movements from Victoria into NSW,” NSW Chief Veterinary Officer Dr Ian Roth said.

“The declaration gives NSW extra powers to manage suspected cases and quarantine any infected properties.

“Under the new legislation, bird fanciers are now required to notify authorities if they suspect one of their pigeons has Avian Paramyxovirus.

“To protect NSW flocks from this deadly disease, all pigeon movements from Victoria into NSW, including for shows, racing events, and bird sales, are now prohibited.”

The above is taken from the NSW DPI site.
Before anybody takes birds from Victoria to NSW to use at trials you had better check with NSW DPI first unless you want to pay the fine. I think it's up to $22,000 and up to 12 months jail.

If this desease isn't controlled it might spell the end of using pigeons at retrieving trials as it has now identified in the feral bird population in Victoria.
Wayne Parkinson

Re: Pigeons from Victoria

Postby Bill Hepburn » Sat 15 Oct 2011 8:27 am

same here in tassie we have to have proof that the birds are from any other state other than victoria .
bill
Bill Hepburn

Postby Trevor Stevens » Thu 20 Oct 2011 8:42 pm

I guess if it is in the feral population it won't take too long to get into other flocks.
What is the situation with dead/frozen birds? Can it be transmitted by them to live birds? Does the transport of dead birds have to be approved?
Trevor Stevens

Postby Bill Hepburn » Fri 21 Oct 2011 5:57 am

Hi Trevor
From the information that we have recieved the disease can survive in the body of frozen birds ,and that to bring them into Tasmania we have to have written proof that the birds are from a different state or have proof on what date they were euthanased,i suppose if we can prove that they were killed before this disease showed up then we can still bring them in.
As yet we havent been given a date as to when this quarantine will end,i am currently awaiting a reply in regards to this.
From information that i have been able to gather (not sure if it is all correct) but the disease was imported into Australia with infected eggs from show pigeons by some pigeon fanciers.
cheers
Bill
Bill Hepburn

Return to General