Sad news from Victoria

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Sad news from Victoria

Postby Kate Eltringham » Thu 27 May 2004 8:41 pm

It is much sadness that I have to let you all know that Ian Wakefield passed away yesterday.

After the initial heart attack in February his health had improved and he had hoped to attend the Easter trial, unfortunately the Doctor didn't give him the all clear for that trial. He had been hoping to get to a number of trials since but had to say no. Two weeks ago he had a further attack which resulted in him being hospitalised again but was released a few days ago and you guessed it he was on the phone catching up with people and having a chat as only Ian could.

He had a further attack on Tuesday and passed away yesterday.

Ian will be very much missed in Victoria, he was, like Laurie at true gentleman. How many times were we all sitting in the gallery and you'd hear "who'd like a lolly?" His pockets were never empty.

Who could forget at the end of Sue's run, out would come the health bar and he'd break it up so Sue would get a piece for every bird she picked up. I think it was twelve months before I actually had any idea of Sue's name for all the pet names he had for her.

We are not as yet aware of when the funeral will but as soon as details are known we'll get the word around.

Ian is survived by his wife and son, Doodle and his other hounds.

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Bo Curtis » Thu 27 May 2004 11:23 pm

This is a sad day, a real gentleman he was. We'll miss you Ian.

Bo and Jackson
Bo Curtis

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 28 May 2004 9:39 am

Very sad news about Ian - he was always such a relaxed and friendly competitor ready to chat with everyone - he will be greatly missed :(
Prue Winkfield

Postby Annie Warner » Fri 28 May 2004 10:30 am

So sad. Trials are just not going to be the same without Ian, a true Gentleman and a wonderfull sportsman, who could teach us all a thing or two about enjoying our dogs.
Annie
Annie Warner

a very sad day

Postby Susie Partridge » Sun 30 May 2004 4:29 pm

I was only lucky enough to meet Ian the couple of times that I came over for the Easter trials, but if anyone is going to get through those pearly gates up there I reckon it would be him!
He taught me one of the best commands I ever known... "pop back doodle and have a little look about" - it worked well for Susie, but I haven't quite taught it to Geordie yet.
Susie Partridge

Ian Wakefield

Postby Robert Tawton » Mon 31 May 2004 11:32 am

Ian will truly be missed, not only for his obvious love of dogs, Retrieving Trials and his gentle ways and sportsmanship, but especially for his literary skills. When Pam and I retired “Mac” from active competition, Ian wrote a poem to commemorate the event and for which we will eternally be grateful. Rest in peace, Ian.

Robert and Pam
Robert Tawton

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Mon 31 May 2004 1:34 pm

The loss of a true gentleman. This is a very sad day for retrieving trials.
Ian's family are in our thoughts.

Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Mon 31 May 2004 2:29 pm

It is a truly sad time...Ian's gentle ways and lovely smile will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ian's family.

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Julie Cramond » Mon 31 May 2004 2:55 pm

Ian, was one of a kind. Certainly a great man who never had a bad word to say about anyone or another's dog.

We will all miss talking to Ian. He always thought about others before himself. His kindness had no bounds.

See you tomorrow Ian. Cassie will be waiting. Julie and Elliott will find it hard to cope without you. Ian gave all without expecting anything in return.

A gentleman in every way.
Julie Cramond

Return to General