Jack Montasell

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Jack Montasell

Postby John Lawton » Thu 05 Jan 2012 10:02 pm

Just to notify triallers and friends of Jack Montasell, that jack is not in the best of health latley.

Jack popped in the last week and mentioned that he had pains under his rib cage that would not go away.
New Years eve Jack was admitted to hospital for tests and has been in hospital ever since. After a series of scans and blood tests they have found shadows on his lung and kidney. A prognosis Jack was dredding, as he has been fighting off cancer for some time.

We told Jack he must give up the smokes and the drink!!!.

Jack as always, entered the January GSP Trial, but tonight he said he may not be their.
I beleived I did the right thing by saying that all the triallers wished him the best and look forward to seeing him at this GSP Trial.

Jack is in the Footscray Private Hospital.
John Lawton

Re: Jack Montasell

Postby Diane McCann » Fri 06 Jan 2012 7:53 am

Thank you so much for letting us know John, not the news we wanted to hear though. Please pass on our best wishes at every opportunity and let him know that we expect to see him at the end of the month!
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Lynette Lennell » Fri 06 Jan 2012 9:43 pm

Sorry to hear Jack's not well. On the few occasions I have travelled to Victoria to trial, It was a pleasure to see Jack out there with his Dogs regardless of the weather.

I am sure he won't remember me, but please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery and many more years of Trialling.

Regards
Lynette Schmidt
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Kerry Webster » Sat 07 Jan 2012 11:54 am

Not great news for the start of the new year, but John would you please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery to my "Uncle" Jack.
Hope he is back out there with the dogs very soon.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Dodo Kelly » Sat 07 Jan 2012 5:17 pm

What no Jack, in his overalls with spade in hand for the snakes, at the January trial? Unheard of, can't happen.
Get well really soon Jack.
Love & kisses from Dodo (Heavens, he will hate that!!)
Dodo Kelly

Postby Robert Tawton » Mon 09 Jan 2012 6:46 pm

Hi All,
Late this afternoon I spoke to Jack and found him to be in good spirits. Tomorrow his Doctor plans to take a biopsy from both his liver and his lungs in an effort to diagnose his condition. A MRI scan was not an option as Jack has a pacemaker. Jack is currently in the Western Private Hospital, 1- 9 Marion St Footscray VIC 3011 (03) 9318 3177.

Kindest regards, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Postby norma harry » Tue 10 Jan 2012 8:41 am

Went into the hospital to pay Jack a short visit on Saturday managed to escape after
about 2 hrs. He was in good spirits and very chatty, he also mentioned he could not
have an MRI as he would probably blow up because of his pacemaker, he said he had
a few calls from triallers and was very pleased about that.
Norma Harry
norma harry

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Fri 13 Jan 2012 3:16 pm

If anyone catches up with Jack please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Regards
Wayne.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 13 Jan 2012 6:33 pm

Hi All,

I spoke to Jack this morning. The results of the biopsy taken from his lungs indicates he has cancer. Further tests are scheduled to be performed at Peter McCallum Hospital to identify the particular form of cancer and depending on that outcome it may be treatable with medication (not Chemo). The source of pain is not thought to be linked to his lungs and further tests are planned to locate its origin.

Despite the foregoing, Jack was in good form and very chatty.

BFN, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Postby Pauline Dunne » Thu 09 Feb 2012 1:49 pm

A Brief Update on Jack.
Thursday 8th Feb 2012
We have just visited Jack. He is now in Western Private undergoing treatment. There are multiple causes for the pain and and one is his spine at the base of his neck. He is wearing a full neck Brace at present. I am sure his daughters Vivian and Anne will keep the dog world well informed of Jacks treatment. All we can say is it was a very emotional visit for all. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since 1972 when we first meet Jack, and today was a very very rough patch.
Pauline and Bruce Dunne 2:45 pm
Pauline Dunne

Return to General