Uncle Jacks Passing

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Uncle Jacks Passing

Postby John Lawton » Thu 23 Feb 2012 7:18 am

It is with deep regret that I was informed that Mr Jack Montasell (Uncle Jack) passed away peacefully at 9.25pm last night.

Funeral arrangments will follow shortly.

Vivienne and Anne are going to arrange the funeral details tomorrow (Friday)
They will be posted in the herald/Sun either Saturday Or Monday
As soon as we hear, we will post the details on this site.

Anyone wishing to send a card can send it care of
7 Lorna Street Bacchus Marsh 3340
Last edited by John Lawton on Thu 23 Feb 2012 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Lawton

Re: Uncle Jacks Passing

Postby Robert Tawton » Thu 23 Feb 2012 8:21 am

What a loss; Jack was truly an icon of our sport and his contribution will be sorely missed. Our respect for him is profound, we will miss his knowledge, thoughfulness and kind words. Jack may you rest in peace.

Robert & Pam Tawton
Robert Tawton

Postby Pauline Dunne » Thu 23 Feb 2012 9:30 am

At 8:30am Thursday .Jacks daughter Vivian rang with the sad news of Jacks passing.
We would like to pass on our sympathy to his family.
We will miss him greatly and all he stood for in the world of dog trialling.
Pauline Bruce and Steven Dunne
Pauline Dunne

Postby norma harry » Thu 23 Feb 2012 10:50 am

Dear Jack we are so going to miss you, RIP, always in our thoughts.

The Golden Girls - Norma, Margaret & Dodo
norma harry

Postby Lynette Lennell » Thu 23 Feb 2012 1:17 pm

I am deeply saddened to hear of Jack's passing.
Even though I only had the opportunity to meet and Trial with him on several occasions when I travelled to Victoria for Trials I will his him.

My deepest sympathy to Jack's family.

May he watch over us from above and enjoy the view.

Regards
Lynette Schmidt
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Kerry Webster » Thu 23 Feb 2012 1:41 pm

I am very saddened to hear that our Jack has gone. My sincere condolences to his family.

I find it quite touching that Jack is considered "Uncle" to everyone. In memory of Jack let me tell of how he became my "Uncle". In the 90's the WA State Championship committee contracted Jack to judge. Funds were very tight and so I offered to use my Frequent Flyer points to bring Jack over from Vic. At the time, conditions were fairly strict and relatives were the only people that FF points could be used on, so naturally, I acquired an Uncle Jack, and ever since then I have always greeted and referred to him as Uncle Jack.

Rest in Peace Jack.

Kerry and Ian Webster
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 23 Feb 2012 3:16 pm

It' s hard to believe I have known Jack or should I say Jack has known me for my entire life. A wonderfull man who loved his dogs and his sport. I am sure we will all miss old "grumpy Jack". He will be a hard man to replace in the retrieving fraternity.

I am sure the big guy upstairs is looking forward to Jack correcting catalogues for an eternity!!! RIP Jack.

We will miss you,

Gareth Siobhan and Riley.
Gareth Tawton

Postby Peter Betteridge » Thu 23 Feb 2012 3:56 pm

this is terrible terrible news
very very sad
i had long conversations with jack about the early days of trialing
we will all miss him
Peter Betteridge

Postby Chris, Jac Van Eekelen » Thu 23 Feb 2012 4:24 pm

Very sad news .
Going to a trial wont be the same we will miss you Jac thanks for being a part of our lives .
Rest in Piece old mate !
Chris and Jacqui Van Eekelen
Chris, Jac Van Eekelen

Postby Lynette Lennell » Thu 23 Feb 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for posting this wonderful photo Chris..
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Margaret Hall » Thu 23 Feb 2012 7:33 pm

Steve and I are greatly saddened to hear of Jacks passing. We have known Jack since 1973 and have always respected his trialing ability and his love for his dogs. Over the years we have seen many people come and go in the trialling fraternity but there was always one person you could always expect to be at a trial and that was Jack. We will greatly miss his friendship and his constant company at trials in the future. He will always be one of retrieving trials' great Statesmen and we will remember him always. Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time. You may be gone from the trials Jack but you will never be forgotten. Rest In Peace it has been a privilege knowing you.

Margaret & Steve Hall
Margaret Hall

Postby Joe Vella » Thu 23 Feb 2012 8:18 pm

Jane and I were just informed of Jack's passing. Our sympathy to Jack's family, We are deeply saddened by the news. A trial site will seem empty in your absence. May you RIP.
Joe Vella

Postby Emma LeCras » Thu 23 Feb 2012 10:33 pm

I have only known Jack for the last couple of years but I can say that he will forever remembered in his overalls. I am not a trialler, but get to a few trials each year to have a look and help where possible, but Jack was always there to offer some advice, laugh at me when I fell in the mud, or complain if I didn't check the dogs and handlers in properly.

When I joined the LRCV Committee about 4 years ago I had the brilliant idea of recording all of the annual trophy winners on the website. Jack had all the records so I approached him one morning at a trial and told him what I wanted to do with great enthusiasm. His response was "what would you want to bloody do that for?" as he turned and walked away. I soon learnt that Jack and the modern world of computers did not go together and never mentioned it again!!

Jack, I may get around to doing it one day and hopefully there will be a new trophy in your memory to add to the list.

RIP Jack and thanks for being a true gentleman.
Emma LeCras

Postby Peter and Helen Eley » Fri 24 Feb 2012 6:34 am

We always found Jack to be a kindly, Grumpy old bugger that would give his all for the dogs and the sport. His words to me when under test were invaluable and I think we will all be looking at his regular camp sites with both remorse and fond memories whenever we visit a trial site. Rest in peace without the pain old friend. Peter and Helen Eley
Peter and Helen Eley

Postby Alison Hargreaves » Fri 24 Feb 2012 11:43 am

Jack, you will be missed by all of the retrieving fraternity in Australia. Trialing will not be the same without you, no-one to kill the snakes with their trusty shovel, no extra copies of schedules from the trial secretaries, all little quirks we loved about you.

Our condolences to Jack's family at this sad time.

Jack can now cross over the Rainbow Bridge with his beloved dogs from the past.

Alison, Jim & Jacqui
Alison Hargreaves

Next

Return to General