Arthritis help

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Arthritis help

Postby Bo Curtis » Mon 14 Jun 2004 9:43 pm

Would appreciate any successful treatment for arthritis. For dogs......
Bo Curtis

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 15 Jun 2004 7:42 am

Hi Bo,

Hope this can be of some help for you:

Tess was struck with severe arthritis in 1999 to the point she was on three legs. She is now 12 1/2 and still belts out to pick up retrieves and moves reasonably well. We are noticing this year that the cold weather is affecting her more than previously.

You can go the medication route through the vet with cartrophan shots (course of 4) and then anti inflammatory's like Rimadyl or Metacam. We have found the most successful way to manage Tess's arthiritis is the natural one.

Every day she has on her evening meal 1 Seatone muscle extract capsule, 1 teaspoon of Shark Cartilage Powder and 1 teaspoon of MSM Joint formula with Glucosamine (which all of the other dogs get as well). Other than the Shark Cartilage Powder everything is bought at a health food shop.

I'm just finishing my Canine Massage Course and have now found that regular massage to the affected area will encourage the blood flow to the muscles around the inflamed joints which helps reduces muscle atrophy which is a side affect of arthritis. Regular excercise also will help keep the joints mobile.

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Tue 15 Jun 2004 11:26 am

Hi Bo

I guess it all depends just how severe the arthritis is. My old boy (nearly 15) has quite bad arthritis and has had for years. He gets a monthly cartrophen injection and a dose of Metacam per day as well as shark cartilege on his dinner.

I'm all for trying the natural remedies and would probably opt for that in the first instance, but if you need something stronger I thoroughly recommend the Metacam. It's expensive but it has kept Zach going for a long time. I've tried the Rimadyl and Etogesic but have found the Metacam has the best result for Zach.

Good luck. I hope you can get the arthritis under control.

Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 15 Jun 2004 1:51 pm

Hi Bo,

Whilst my golden hasn't been officially diagnosed with arthritis, she has had a chronic back injury for almost seven years. Over the past four years I have had to give careful treatment for pain and flexibility. She has occasional visits to our Vet for manipulation and even had acupuncture. I hate to give drugs as treatment, but will as a last resort. I do massage and always keep her back warm.

I have given her a natural addative daily for about two years now, and she has been jumping out of her skin. I give her Tahitian Noni juice, and started off at about 7 ml, and now she has around 10 ml daily, with a 20ml dose the night before and after competition. The difference in her in trials has been remarkable. I also am thinking of either Saschas Blend or Missing Link with Glucosamine, to add to her diet just as an added benefit. Apparently, Sashas blend is good, and easily available at pet shops.

Good luck.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 17 Jun 2004 5:30 pm

I tried a few natural therapies also with my older dogs, but since finding Metacam I personally think it is a wonderful drug without known side effects (in labradors).

Cracker has been on Metacam for a couple of years due to her general arthritis, but mainly for her pre existing spinal problem. Since her CCL operation (knee ligament) a couple of months ago she is also on Cartrophen.

I changed my dog food to Eagle Pack a couple of years ago. I feed the formulas which contain Glucosamine (maintenance levels). Adder our pensioner has improved out of sight on this diet.
Julie Cramond

Postby Gail Phoenix » Mon 21 Jun 2004 11:13 pm

Bo,
I have been giving Tessa, my 11 year old GSP, Seatone capsules since she was 4. After damaging a cruciate ligament & requiring surgery at 3yrs old & again a year later,her movement was very limited.
Within a week of taking Seatone she was romping around again & was soon able resume competing in retrieving trials.
She had surgery to the other leg at 9 but still gets around pretty well.
Some years as the weather starts to get cold & damp she requires a course of 4 Cartrophen injections which usually sees her through winter.
She gets one Seatone capsule a day but occasionally I up this if she has been very active or seems a bit cranky on the old legs.
I give both my GSP's celery seeds & minced celery in their evening meal.
PS; Seatone is great for humans too who suffer from Arthritis
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Bo Curtis » Tue 22 Jun 2004 8:29 pm

thanks for the tips, y'all...

metacam and seatone, are these vet scrips or health food store items?

kate, i like the sound of the massage therapy best. does noel respond well?

bo
Bo Curtis

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 22 Jun 2004 9:57 pm

Bo,

Seatone is from the health food shop and Metecam from the vet.

Noel is responding very well, but seriously the dogs do enjoy the massage, it's amazing to see how even the hyper dogs calm down as you massage them.

Our new pup is not such a good patient as he keeps falling asleep when I'm massaging him but then I suppose it goes to show how much they relax!!

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Pat Thorn » Fri 05 Nov 2004 4:03 pm

Gail Phoenix wrote:I give both my GSP's celery seeds & minced celery in their evening meal.
PS; Seatone is great for humans too who suffer from Arthritis

Why the celery, what does this do?

I might get some Seatone for me as well, for the future, it may not be that long now as I have reached the big 60.
Pat
Pat Thorn

Postby Gail Phoenix » Sat 06 Nov 2004 11:19 am

Pat,
A number of people I know use Seatone to good effect.
Celery is an old remedy people have used for relief of arthritic pain.
We have a family history of rhuematoid arthritis & my father & grandmother swore eating celery helped ease the inflamation.
Before the days of glucoasimes etc it was commonly believed to assist arthritis sufferers.
As dogs can't talk & tell me it helps I will still give it as it certainly won't hurt them. Celery seeds are a concentrated source of whatever it is that
that helps. I buy it in bulk from health food store & sprinkle some on the girl's food each day. I usually munch on a stick of celery when preparing the dog vegies
Gail
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Sat 06 Nov 2004 4:04 pm

I know a couple of people who suffer with arthritis who have been using glucosamine powder with terrific results, although it can take up to 6 weeks to see a result so don't give up too soon if you opt for the natural remedies for either yourself or your dog. They do apparently take a while to get into your system and have an effect.
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Pat Thorn » Sun 07 Nov 2004 8:24 am

Kerry Webster wrote:I have given her a natural addative daily for about two years now, and she has been jumping out of her skin. I give her Tahitian Noni juice, and started off at about 7 ml, and now she has around 10 ml daily, with a 20ml dose the night before and after competition. The difference in her in trials has been remarkable. I also am thinking of either Saschas Blend or Missing Link with Glucosamine, to add to her diet just as an added benefit. Apparently, Sashas blend is good, and easily available at pet shops.

Where do you get Tahitian Noni juice?

I also am thinking of either Saschas Blend or Missing Link with Glucosamine, to add to her diet just as an added benefit. Apparently, Sashas blend is good, and easily available at pet shops.

Why would you go with Saschas Blend or Missing Link with Glucosamine if Tahitian Noni juice is doing such a good job? Do these other remedies provide a different benefit?
Pat
Pat Thorn

Postby Maureen Cooper » Mon 08 Nov 2004 3:18 pm

Glucosamine works a treat for me and a lot of other people I know, I would not be without it but apparently quite a few of us can also buy pure glucosamine powder so both dogs and owner share the product. I believe health food shops sell the powder though I get mine from some kennels but it is human grade!
Sashas Blend has good results too from what I hear and so does MSN joint formula and all would be cheaper than Rimadyl, Cartrophen, Metacam etc. Yes, give it time to work too, 4-6 weeks. Maybe use the injections for immediate relief and back up with daily glucosamine thereafter.

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 10 Nov 2004 11:22 am

Pat,

I actually haven't used any other medication, natural or otherwise for my dogs, since my last post here, as the Noni juice appears to do all that is required.

Noni juice itself can be bought from any health food store, but Tahitian Noni Juice can only be bought from the company, or a distributor. I am afraid you would have to find a distributor in your area. The company has a website which I think is purely under Tahitian Noni Juice, so you should be able to source a supply through that. It is not cheap (around $70 per litre), but you only start the dog with around 7ml per day (for a Lab or Golden around 30kg), then build up to around 15 ml per day. Prior to competiton I give a super boost to my girl by giving her a dose of 20ml to 25 ml. I just put it in her dinner at night.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Return to General