Queensland Gundog Training Weekend Seminar

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Queensland Gundog Training Weekend Seminar

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Tue 22 Jun 2004 8:32 am

I seem to have spent many years of my adult life in either presenting talks, lectures etc. or having paid good money to attend them. In the latter instances (I can’t comment on my own performances) they have ranged from the sublime to, quite frankly, those that leave you wondering how paint can dry so rapidly.

Robert Tawton’s gundog presentation, hosted by the Queensland Field & Retrieving Association, over the weekend of 19/20 June 2004 was definitely in a category bordering the superb. It was worth every penny of the meagre cost and had something of interest and value for handlers at every stage of the gundog-training continuum. If any criticism could be levelled at the organization and organizers it would be that the course could usefully have stretched out to take in a long weekend (a week?)!).

The very setting itself augured well for the weekend. Peter & Jackie Duffy’s 82-acre property at Lacey’s Creek (in the hinterland of Dayboro, s.e. Queensland) is a mixture of hills and a large reasonably flat lawn on which to demonstrate the early stages of retriever training. Their private ‘obedience and agility training yard’ further served the cause of demonstrating the early stages of casting and line work. They need to be highly commended for allowing FRA access to their property and for the manner in which they and the Golles organized the morning and afternoon teas together with generous and substantial lunches; given the cold westerly wind racing through the valley hot soup as an entrée was a gem of brilliancy and a fitting testimony to Amand Golle’s cooking skills!

The presentation itself was a fine balance of “chalk and talk” (well, okay, in the modern era it’s ‘felt-tip pen and whiteboard’) and practical demonstrations using Robert’s two younger dogs, King and Tank, supplemented with Amand’s old stager and Lisa-Marie’s (please forgive if this is an incorrect spelling) younger Labbie. As a side note I might add that it was perversely reassuring to see the old ESS and indeed Robert’s own young Lab commit “errors”. There is yet hope for those of us at the lower end of the inverted learning pyramid!

Early morning sessions normally started with Robert’s ‘chalk and talk’ presentation and then we ventured to various corners of the property to see the ‘theory’ put into practice. After years as an educator I remain confirmed in my belief that theory is all well and good (and essential) but a practical display proves the notes. Robert had these two aspects balanced to perfection – and still left himself, and his albeit captivated audience, time for individual questions or to delve deeper and more thoroughly into points raised by various participants.

It would be over-tedious to itemize each and every aspect of gundog training covered over the weekend. Suffice to repeat that he treated with training esstentials from the 49-day old puppy to the advanced All-Age dog and touched on the more controversial 'force fetch". He has the courage of his convictions on this issue and did not attempt to sidestep the potential flack.

A number of things became abundantly clear. Robert loves his gundogs and has a wealth of knowledge regarding their training and handling that must be second to none. He also has a sackful of anecdotes and if one only believes a fraction of his tales – those he himself admits are true – he has associated with some of the best known gundog handlers in both Australia and the United States. And, perhaps more importantly, he is prepared to share that knowledge and experience with those not so advanced in this sport. What a change from some of the earlier “experts” I encountered during my first incarnation into retrieving!

As fortunate participants – and the descriptive ‘fortunate’ seems somehow inadequate but time presses- my wife and I would like to extend our gratitude to Robert Tawton, to the FRA and to Peter & Jackie Duffy for a fascinating and informative weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the process of learning a lot about handling gundogs. I confirm my parting remark to Robert, the proof of the pudding will be when I beat him in the 2008 National.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 22 Jun 2004 8:36 pm

Julian
I can't imagine Bob Tawton doing anything but a highly professional job in presenting a seminar.I believe Bob recently did a similar one in SA which also received rave reviews.Its great that you acknowledge his efforts because it is rare to find someone who will contribute to the sport so selflessly as Bob. He obviously cares deeply about our great sport and incidently it is with Bob's encouragement and the use of his contacts that this website came into being.
Great pro-active things seem to be happening around the country by many different people. In Victoria ,Noel and the CHWGC are doing a 2 day seminar at shepparton and in Sydney the WGC of NSW spearheaded by Geoff Cole have organized a large promo day on August 1 complete with a follow up course.WA seems to have a very vibraint trialling scene and Kerry is an amazing state rep. I feel very positive about our sports future
regards Peter Betteridge
Peter Betteridge

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 23 Jun 2004 3:53 pm

I understand the Queenslanders had 45 participant all of which were Novice, restricted or new to the sport. It would be great to know how they went about advertising this event. Especially considering they raised something like $1500 towards the National at the sametime as promoting our sport. well done Qld

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Return to General