team championships

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby jeff b » Sun 18 Jul 2004 10:39 pm

Hi Wayne

There are quite a number of working flatcoats used in the UK although nothing like the labs. Historically they used to be the preferred shooting mans dog but somewhere along the line they were hijacked by the show fraternity. After the second world war interest started again with some folk wishing to promote the breed as a reliable working dog. This has been a painstakingly slow process as much of the inherent working instincts and abilities had been bred out or at least suppressed by lack of use. There are now several good working lines but the breed has a reputation of being highly strung and indifferent during a working day. Some days are good and some days are not so good.

To persevere with a flatcoat you need to be a breed enthusiast, if its just a good working dog that is require then most opt for a lab. Phil and Vickie Bruton, good friends of mine, have persevered with flatcoats for many years, Phil made up his liver bitch to FTCh last year [FTCh Shirlett Sweetheart] and secured a run in the retriever championships , although not getting beyond the first round. However, they too have now changed over to labs.

In general flatcoats make excellent picking-up dogs, often locating game missed by others however it is often an uphill struggle to achieve a high standard. You may find the following website article interesting:

http://www.flatcoated-retrievers.com/pickingup.html

In order to make up a flatcoat to FTCh it has to compete successfully in what is called 'all variety' retriever trials, that means competing against top labradors and goldens.

Anyone persevering with the breed and becoming successful can only be good news.

Jeff
Failing to train is training to fail.
jeff b

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Mon 19 Jul 2004 8:45 pm

Thanks Jeff
It certainly can be interesting livng with a Flatcoat.

That's a great effort by your friends.
I am interested to know what breeding their bitch has behind her.

I have only heard of 2 post war English FTCH Flatcoat bitches, Werrion Redwing of Collers and Hartshorn Sorrel.
but then again we live out in the back of beyond so there could be another 20.

I will get another one when I get around to it.
If you get the right one they can be a great hunting dog.

We had some correspondence with a Joan Mason when she was writing her book "Flatcoated Retrievers Today". Even managed to sneak a photo of our two in there.

Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 20 Jul 2004 7:35 am

'morning Wayne,

We have an article on the liver bitch made up to FT CH which was in the Shooting Gazette a while back.

I'll get it copied and posted up to you, it makes interesting reading.

Like you I will be getting another Flatcoat, just have to wait until we leave suburbia :!:

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Previous

Return to General