Snake season opening!

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Snake season opening!

Postby Heather Ellis » Tue 20 Nov 2012 5:50 pm

Unfortunately it's that time of year again! My pup Phoenix decided to celebrate his 1st birthday by finding a new plaything - an adult Tiger snake! Much more fun than his granny and aunty obviously. My husband came out to find him sitting up observing the snake as the busy end thrashed around on the ground. The snakes back was broken in 2 places and had been mauled in between the breaks. Phoenix had obviously been 'playing' for a while.Fortunately the dog suffered no ill effects apart from a rushed visit to the vet.

However I'm now going to be carrying through with some 'aversion' therapy which I found in an article several years ago as I'm afraid Phoenix may have decided snakes are fun playmates. Suggestion was to find a non venomous snake, place it in a yard, give the dog a substance from the vet which makes them feel very sick and place them in the yard with the snake. Thus the dog relates the sickness with the snake! An obvious other strategy would be to use an 'e'collar at the appropriate time. I have traced a man who has pet snakes and will let you know how we go! Obviously it won't help in the bush where a dog may come across a snake and not see it but at least I can hope to stop him choosing to 'play'!!

Good luck to you all! Hope you don't have to face the same circumstance
Regards
Heather Ellis
Heather Ellis

Re: Snake season opening!

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 21 Nov 2012 11:57 am

Boy were you lucky Heather !! That could have been devastating; I bet Mike nearly had a heart attack.

Eight years ago when we moved to our present property, I discovered a very large, placid python living here, who was quite accommodating in allowing me to snake proof my dogs. It seemed to work and although I had one instance of two dogs rushing at the movement of a large dugite, they both stopped on command and backed off from it. Unfortunately the only dog still here that had that training is Swaggy, so none of the younger dogs have had the same opportunity, and I am afraid I know that Diamond and Whiz will both just dive in and grab a snake/lizard if given half a chance. I haven't had another python so accommodating as that first one, to train these dogs, and really I don't know what the solution is to protecting the dogs from themselves, really.

Glad to hear that Pheonix is ok though.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Re: Snake season opening!

Postby Sue Batchelor » Wed 21 Nov 2012 12:05 pm

Coming from NZ, snakes are my worst nightmare!
Luckily I'm unlikely to meet one in the middle of Sydney.

I have seen videos from the US of dogs being proofed against rattle snakes.
Someone could make a fortune here if they started some similar courses with our local snakes.

Relieved to hear that your puppy was okay, Heather.
Sue Batchelor

Return to General