WGC Inc. Training Day

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

WGC Inc. Training Day

Postby Mary Law » Sun 13 Jan 2013 11:45 am

WGC Training Day
Cooranbong
10 March 2013

The Working Gundog Club Inc. is holding an information and training day on Sunday, March 10 for anyone interested or curious about retrieving based on the activities carried out at Retrieving Trials for Gundogs (RT) and also Retrieving Ability Tests for Gundogs (RATG). A flyer for the event has been circulated amongst interested groups of people and is reproduced below.

For organisational and catering purposes, we have asked people to register their interest in attending by booking in with the club secretary, Mary Law. An email to Mary at jamlaw8@bigpond.com requesting a booking form and directions will result in the form being emailed in reply which can then be filled out on-line and returned to Mary.

Last year, just under 50 people and their doggies booked in and the feedback via email from almost every attendee showed it to be a very interesting and socially enjoyable day.

WGC Inc. Retrieving Information & Training Day

Got a Gundog?
Give Retrieving a Go!

When: Sunday 10 March 2013

Where: COORANBONG NSW
(Only 75 mins north on F3 from Wahroonga)
Address: 38A Marshall St, Cooranbong. NSW 2265

What: A full program of activities including:
o Practical demonstrations
o Theory of training for retrieving
o Opportunities to practise with your own dog
o Groups formed to suit your level

Cost: $10 per dog: to be collected on the day

Catering: BBQ lunch/soft drinks available at reasonable cost

Bring: a chair to sit on, your dog (and a lead to restrain it) and enjoy a day out with the experienced and friendly members of the Working Gundog Club Inc.

Bookings: For further information & for catering purposes, please book in before Friday March 1 2013 by contacting:
Mary Law (Secretary) Tel: (02) 4973 5329
Email: jamlaw8@bigpond.com

SCHEDULE

An Introduction to Retrieving
Theory and Practical

SESSION 1 – MARKED RETRIEVES

Pre-requisites:
➢ Heel
➢ Recall
1. Appropriate use of praise and reward
2. Fetch - Hold - Give
3. Fetch on long lead
4. Exposure to terrain
5. Demonstration - a puppy retrieve
6. Demonstration - Single Mark for Novice RATG & RTs
7. Demonstration – Open RATG exercises
8. Group Practice at appropriate levels – land and water retrieves

BREAK FOR LUNCH

SESSION 2 – CONTROL
[ The teaching and maintaining of control in the field based on proven positive methods of praise and reward ]

9. Why control?
10. Basic Whistle Drill
Sit / Stay/ Come / Stop on Recall
11. Basic casting drills
12. Basic lining drills
13. Demonstration – Retrieving an unsighted bird
Mary Law

Re: WGC Inc. Training Day

Postby Mary Law » Mon 04 Mar 2013 7:31 pm

Hi to all,
Regrettably, the property at Cooranbong where we planned to hold our training day next Sunday is inundated with water from the constant rain we have been having and so we are unable to use it next weekend.

Furthermore, as more rain is forecast this week and we are also moving into a very busy period of trials and other events, it will be some time before we can hope to arrange an alternative date. The Club has therefore decided to cancel this event and plan for another day later in the year when a suitable date can be found and suitable conditions will hopefully prevail.

We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause but these circumstances are really beyond anyone's control as you will no doubt understand.

Be assured you will be notified in good time when an alternative date is found.

Thank you to all those who went to the trouble of enrolling - I will keep your data on file for next time. Sorry to send this out to all on the data-base again even if you indicated you were unable to attend this time but it does let you know that you may have indeed not missed out at all. In case any should discard this email, I will send a separate one to all who have enrolled as a double check; we don't want anyone coming all this way to no end.

With kind regards,
Mary (Law)
Mary Law

Postby Peter Butterfield » Mon 12 Aug 2013 2:25 pm

Many thanks to WGC for (eventually) holding this training day last Sunday (11/8/13). In the end you couldn't have picked a better venue or more perfect day for it. The instruction received on the day was immensely valuable. My particular thanks to Peter Betteridge who held the Restricted class and shared a wealth of knowledge with us in a very short space of time.
Kind regards, Peter Butterfield.
PS Have posted a few happy-snaps of the day at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yqeq3xrb4fycr1b/N0h4CWHC6- for anyone interested.
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Postby PennyAngel » Mon 12 Aug 2013 9:26 pm

What a lovely day we all had, the weather was perfect and the instruction was the same. It was great to be able to get an insight into Peter Betteridge's training regime. I think he fit a hell of a lot in in such a short amount of time, however it was more than enough for my grey cells! Would be great to have a follow up with Peter in a few months once I've had the opportunity to use my newfound knowledge and I am sure will have lots more questions. The catering was great too and I very much enjoyed that almond meal slice and beef and gravy roll!
He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything.
- Thomas Carlyle
PennyAngel

Return to General