Bundaberg in Flood

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Bundaberg in Flood

Postby Wendy Michalk » Mon 28 Jan 2013 10:13 pm

Hi to those of you who may be wondering how those of us in Bundy are coping .
Margaret Sullivan is flooded out how badly no one knows at the moment but in 2011 her house flooded down stairs & to the fifth step from the top story, this time we expect its into the top story.
John Palus property would I expect be fairly well washed but he & Pat at the moment are sitting it out just above flood level near the golf course where the river broke its banks .Trevor & Mary-lyn Davies are still just above the flood level but without power since Saturday.Jim Hook has been evacuated from North Bundy but not sure if his property will go under, Martin & Merilyn Walsh are flooded in but okay, the rest of us are all high dry but in shock at what this unprecedented flood is doing to our town & community. Find it hard to imagine my relatives down South are struggling with drought & bushfires.
cheers Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Re: Bundaberg in Flood

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 29 Jan 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the update Wendy, I was watching the news last night and wondering how the trialling folk of Bundaberg were coping. Doesn't sound too good, must be demoralising for you all to have this happen again. Hard to beleive that we are living in the same country! Our thoughts are with you.
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 29 Jan 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Wendy - the news tonight is still dreadful - hope everyone ends up OK and our friends up north don't loose too much.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Wendy Michalk » Tue 29 Jan 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks Di & Prue,
we went out & checked water tonight about 6pm & it is unbelievable the amount of water roaring down the river there seems to be a steadying of the water levels but I'm not sure if it has finally peaked yet . Everyone is safe The Davies were ready to evacuate at 9.30am will check on them tomorrow. Marg sullivan blew her car up this morning, no good news there, still playing the waiting game don't know the extent of damage to Margs home still.
Have spoken to several triallers in Brisbane all seem to have avoided damage thankfully this time.
cheers Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Postby Maggie Hankinson » Wed 30 Jan 2013 10:49 am

Good to hear you are all safe Wendy. The news reports have been very worrying and looks like the clean up is going to be a huge job for the Bundaberg community. Hope the damage isn't too great for our QLD triallers.
Maggie Hankinson

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 30 Jan 2013 12:23 pm

It's a relief to hear that all the Bundy crowd are ok. What about Mal and Pam ? Sad to hear that Margaret's two donkeys were swept away in the flood; how awful. All the best to everyone & hope it subsides very soon.
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Judy Pannett » Wed 30 Jan 2013 8:22 pm

So sad to hear of all that you are going through in qld. My thoughts are with you all hoping your houses are safe.
Judy
Judy Pannett

Postby Wendy Michalk » Thu 31 Jan 2013 12:00 am

Thanks everyone
Mal & Pam are fine no serious flood damage, The peak has hit now comes the realisation of the damage & the smell. The water is going down quickly in some areas slower in others. Davies did not evacuate they stayed dry, Marg still hasn't got home thought she might be able to walk in tomorrow. Yes Kerri sadly Marg lost her grass control 2 donkeys. Her dogs are safe swam out with marg & her sister. No more to report trying to rain tonight never thought I'd dread rain but its only supposed to be light storms fingers crossed.
cheers Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Postby Allan Bartram » Thu 31 Jan 2013 1:57 pm

To All our great trailling friends in and around Bundy, we have been watching the incredible flooding on the TV and you have all been in our thoughts. Good to know that all are safe , but how sad for Marg...especially after the flood damage just two years ago.
Seems that the Burnett has peaked and water levels are dropping, we hope your beautiful little town recovers quickly .
Stay safe , we are thinking of you

Allan & Catherine
Allan Bartram

Postby Gareth Tawton » Fri 08 Feb 2013 6:42 pm

I've just spent the day looking at the bundaberg
Shopping centre which was totally flooded. It has 70 stores plus Kmart Coles Woolworth . The locals seem to downplay how dramatic the flooding has been for some parts of the town. The stink from rotting food in the supermarkets is unbelievable. One of the power company staff thought 2000 people still don't have power. It's hard to clean up the mess without power. I'm amazed at how the news down south has just moved on from this...

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Return to General