DMAX advice - increased fuel capacity

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

DMAX advice - increased fuel capacity

Postby Lesli Cameron » Fri 11 Oct 2013 10:30 am

Hi

Several triallers have DMAXs. Can you please advise me on getting additional fuel capacity by either replacing current factory tank with larger one or adding a second.

All pros and cons welcome.

Thanks Lesli
Lesli Cameron

Re: DMAX advice - increased fuel capacity

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Sat 12 Oct 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Lesli

I have recently returned from an outback trip which included crossing the Simpson Desert. I use jerrycans to extend my range. I carried an extra 80 litres over the standard fuel tank in the Colorado. I had relatively good fuel consumption crossing the Simpson, which involves a lot of sand driving. I only needed to use 2 of the jerrycans. Of course I didn't have dogs with me on this trip so could use the cargo area for all my gear.

We travelled with a group and some had long range fuel tanks installed. You could try thelongranger.com.au. There are other brands. Speak to ARB or other 4WD store. Long range tanks are great as it secures your fuel under the vehicle, but weigh up the cost and whether you really need it compared to carrying jerrycans when you need extra fuel. And whether you will be having dogs on board or not.

Also, I am on diesel. So much more stable and better economy than petrol.

Regards
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Lesli Cameron » Sun 13 Oct 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks Jeff...might consider the jerry can options first.
Lesli Cameron

Postby Allan Bartram » Tue 15 Oct 2013 11:57 am

Lesli,
Working for Isuzu I thought I'd better comment!
Isozu do not service a genuine long range tank. They are available from ARB or Long Ranger in either a 125 ltr or 145 ltr format, take approx 3hrs to be fitted. The down side is that for a "serious" off roader there is a loss of ground clearance, and you could "belly out". I dont think this would present much of a problem driving around normal trial sites though !
Jeff gives good advice, but ALL DMax's are diesel unlike the Colorado (Holden) that had V6 petrol or diesel options.
The other alternative to increase economy is to change the "chip" in the ECM (computer). The downside here is that towing and acceleration performance is reduced to achieve the economy.

Hope that helps
regards
Allan
Allan Bartram

Return to General