Sydney Fires

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Sydney Fires

Postby Trevor Stevens » Tue 22 Oct 2013 4:30 pm

I don't know where everyone lives in NSW, but trust that you are all safe and well.
It is cold and raining here in Melbourne today and hard to believe the tough time that you are having in the Blue Mountains.
Good luck if you live anywhere near the fires.
Trevor Stevens

Re: Sydney Fires

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Wed 23 Oct 2013 2:36 am

Hi Trevor
Thanks for your best wishes.

We are at Warrimoo in the Blue Mountains and have fires to the north west, north, and north east. We had a community meeting tonight with RFS and the message is if you don't need to be here, then leave. We are packed up ready to go but have to load our 5 Labradors in the morning and then we will be off. My wife is a Vet nurse and will go in to work (locally) and be ready to go if it goes bad. The winds have been still for the last couple of days which have helped enormously. But it could get away tomorrow with predicted high winds.

Blue Mountains RFS are the best in the world, and we have the support of every state in Australia.

Heavy rain would also be good,

Regards

Jeff Griffiths
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 23 Oct 2013 6:49 am

Hi Jeff
Hope all goes well over the next few days. It's events like these that realy put life in perspective.

Gareth and Siobhan
Gareth Tawton

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 23 Oct 2013 8:15 am

Hope everyone and their animals in the Blue Mountains stay safe - we Victorians know only too well what you must be going through now and our thoughts are with you.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Trevor Stevens » Wed 23 Oct 2013 8:38 am

Hi Jeff. At least the conditions over the last few days have given you an opportunity to prepare. But as the people of Marysville will attest, nothing will stop a wild fire when it gets going. Our thoughts are with you.
Trevor Stevens

Postby Rachel Greaves » Wed 23 Oct 2013 4:38 pm

I know only too well what you are going through - don't hesitate, pack up and get out while you can.
Thinking of you all even as we shiver in the cold and rain. What a country!
Rachel Greaves

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Fri 25 Oct 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for your best wishes,

Things are better now, but still large fire fronts.

We packed up our dogs and precious items and clothes and got out on Wed. The best sight I had as I drove down off the Mountains was all the white fire trucks heading up (South Aussies I think)> I lost count. Plus plenty of Sydney Fire Brigades. And knowing Blue Mountains and other RFS were on the job. And Queensland, Victoria, ACT, Tassies (Flown up), WA I think. The support is fantastic.
Wind changes late Wed meant we could go back home.

We can still see smoke nearby, but calmer conditions and lots of firies.

We are going to Melbourne on Friday night for our daughters wedding on Sunday. Did you say cold and wet???

Taking no chances, dogs and special things will be down in Sydney till we get back.

Cheers
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Return to General