Training Day and Trial weekend

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Training Day and Trial weekend

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 09 Apr 2003 5:20 pm

I noticed in the South Australian page that the Gundog Club is having a weekend incorporating a training/fun day, then a trial the following day.

I thought, what a great idea ! A get together weekend encouraging people who may be interested in retrieving to get away, do heaps, or a little, training with other enthusuasts, exchange ideas, have fun, then compete the following day.

Good onya S.A. for thinking up such a concept. Hope it gets you plenty of new recruits.
Maybe the idea will filter through to others ???
Kerry Webster

Postby Kerry » Wed 09 Apr 2003 5:25 pm

Oops. Sorry, it was the Labrador Retriever Club in S.A.
Still, good stuff.
Kerry

Postby Flattie » Wed 09 Apr 2003 7:42 pm

Hi Kerry,

Thought you might like to know that the Flatcoated Retriever Association of Victoria has for the last two years and again this year run a training and trialing weekend the trial consisting of only a Beginners and Novice.

The format has been to have a training day on the Saturday, which is held at an obedience club where people can get together and have a chat over coffee and a sausage sizzle. We have the experienced trainers on hand to help and give a demonstration incorporating training from baby puppies up to Novice level. We hold the entries for the beginners open until after the completion of the training day to enable people to come out and have a go with their dogs. To assist the new trialers I have had an experienced trialer as the gun steward who helps the handlers at the pegs and fires for them as well, which allows them the opportunity to concentrate on their dogs. From this concept the beginners have had entries between 10 & 15 which is terrific.

We have been fortunate that from this concept that a couple of new triallers have started competing.

Kate Eltringham
Flattie

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 09 Apr 2003 8:10 pm

I'm impressed !!!
We do have a training day here is W.A. every Saturday morning through the season for beginners through to Restricted. This has been run by the Retrieving Club (Peter Reekie) for many years, and has been the main reason for the big entries in Novice that we enjoy here.

I am all for this, as once upon a time I was there as a newey, and now often help in instruction. But, I just like this idea of a full day of training/fun/& getting together, before having a trial. Maybe one of the clubs over here will latch onto the idea, especially for beginners.

Helping the new people accustom to holding the gun, and firing it, AND have a steady, but enthusiastic dog, and maintain that energy and enthusiasm, both dog and owner, is everything there is in keeping this sport alive. Without that new blood, it may well die. Glad to hear you are doing it so well in Victoria, Kate.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby flattie » Thu 10 Apr 2003 1:51 pm

What is even more pleasing for trialling nationally is that at the three day Easter retrieving trial Central Highlands holds in Victoria the entries for Novice are from 35 - 39 which bodes well for the future of the sport.

Kate E
flattie

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Fri 11 Apr 2003 10:12 am

It's great to see the Flatcoats when they run in trials.
They are always full of surprises.
you can go through all the emotions in one day with a flattie.
:D :oops: :lol: :( :shock: :evil: and lets not forget :roll:
Waynep.
Wayne Parkinson

Retriever Training Day

Postby Mark Sewell » Thu 24 Apr 2003 5:38 pm

Hi Kate E

I was wondering if you could tell me the time and venue of the Flatcoated Retriever Association training day to be held on Saturday 3rd May. I would really love to attend with my young Golden pup.

Kind regards

Mark
Last edited by Mark Sewell on Mon 21 Mar 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sewell

Postby Guest » Thu 24 Apr 2003 9:00 pm

Hi M & J

The training day is to be held at Werribee Dog Obedience Club, Presidents Park at Werribee which is off Shaws Rd. We aim to start at 9 a.m. and it is usually finished with a sausage sizzle at lunch time.

If you require any other additional information please let me know.

Regards

Kate E

Postby Mark Sewell » Fri 25 Apr 2003 3:37 pm

Thanks for the information Kate. It is most appreciated!
I'll definately be there.

Mark
Mark Sewell

Return to General