Beginners tests

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Beginners tests

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sun 01 Aug 2004 4:57 pm

Is anyone aware of any clubs running a Beginners test in the near future?
Thanks,
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sun 01 Aug 2004 6:08 pm

Not in the very near future but the GSP have a Beginners in November and so do the Britany (I think)
Prue Winkfield

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sun 01 Aug 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks Prue, I will keep an eye out for those clubs' schedules

Garrick
Garrick Bridges

WHY NOT MORE BEGINNERS

Postby Helen Eley » Tue 03 Aug 2004 8:53 am

Thanks for asking the question about any 'Any Beginners Tests being run?' Pete & I being the new kids on the block come in with much to learn but with a fresh set of eyes. Am I wrong by thinking this class is one of the most important classes in the sport, however, curiously I see too few of them. To progress we must have a beginning, it is the powerfully simple entrance for new people into the sport, if Beginners coupled with promotional training is exercised the rest will take care of itself.

Helen Eley - Flat Coated Retrievers
Helen Eley

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 03 Aug 2004 10:02 am

Hi Helen

One of the important messages I took away from the Working Gundog Club demo day on Sunday was that we need to be building a link for people to progress from Gundog Working Tests to Retrieving Trials. It would seem to me that beginners tests are an excellent way to make that link.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 03 Aug 2004 10:38 am

For people who belong to Field & Game - they also run retrieving tests and training days (in Victoria at least) which can be a stepping stone to trials. It is an organisation well worth joining as they are great advocates for our sport and gundog activities in general.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Helen Eley » Tue 03 Aug 2004 12:17 pm

Thank you Jason, for hearing exactly what I am saying. I agree we do need links to propel us through the ranks, to do that the new recruit would be wise to start at the Beginning, this class as simple as it is to some is a form of encouragement for the newcomer...if I understand correctly the sport does need new people. It may be there is little financial profit to be made from running this class that is why they are commonly absent, but I see it as an investment in the future of Retrieving. :wink:
Helen Eley

Beginners Tests

Postby Helen Eley » Tue 03 Aug 2004 12:46 pm

Thanks for giving that advice Prue. Since coming into the sport of Retrieving I have learned that Field & Game exists, but when you are outside the loop you don't, We trained our dogs in obedience for years because we liked working with them, but the desire was always there to do retrieving, we might be dummies but we honestly didn't know where/how start. :roll: Bravo to Field & Game having training days & incorporating retrieving test they obviously recognise there is a need.
Helen Eley

Return to General