Run Size

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Run Size

Postby Luke Dixon » Fri 13 Dec 2013 1:31 pm

Hi All,
Firstly thanks for letting me on your forum, and bare with me as a newbie. :-)

Currently I have two GSP's and a Cocker, all pets at various levels of training. However I would in the future like to concentrate more on gundog training for future dogs. I have a field sport background shooting clays, pheasant, partridge, pigeons and rabbits in the past (ten years ago whilst in the UK) but have never owned my own gundog. (due to not wanting to have to relocate the dog with me when I came over here ten years ago.) I am now starting to look in to shooting possibilities over here again and will probably want to try my hand with dog and gun this time around (maybe imported dog, maybe local working line not sure yet but that is a while down the track)

So, to my point, If i go down the working line, I was planning to kennell the dog/dogs whilst i am not with them so as to inhibit their ability to " self serve" during the day. I am trying to get a feel for size of run required etc. In the UK a lot of the runs seemed to be in the 6X7 foot range (not including shelter, that was additional) and would normally house 1-3 spanners or cockers or 1-2 GSP, pointers or labs.

1, do you guys kennel?
2, what size do you use?
3, Any particular construction used/favoured in Australia?

Thoughts? Please comment and discuss, and bare with me as I am but a simple englishman :roll: :)
Luke Dixon

Re: Run Size

Postby Sally Haynes » Fri 13 Dec 2013 10:31 pm

Welcome Luke!

I can't help you much with your question though - mine seem to be quite content with the couch... :lol:
Sally Haynes

Postby Rachel Greaves » Sat 14 Dec 2013 6:15 am

I don't like to frighten you but here are the draft requirements for dogs in Victoria:
Height at shoulder...... below 40 cms......min area - 7 sq m......min width 120 cms......min height 180 cms
Height st shoulder...... 40 - 70 cms...... min area - 10 sq m......min width 180 cms.....min height 180 cms
Height at shoulder......70 cms and above....min area 15 sq m....min width 240 cms......min height 180 cms

I should add that those are the requirements PER DOG !!!!!! so much for the garden - if there is any left!
Rachel Greaves

Postby Luke Dixon » Sat 14 Dec 2013 7:06 am

That is insane! I'll do some checking, but I reckon most of the boarding kennels in NSW would struggle, especially when housing multiples. So are those recommendations or law in VIC? Does that include the kennel (indoor) part of the run or is that just the run section?

Thanks for the replys so far
Luke Dixon

Postby Rachel Greaves » Sat 14 Dec 2013 8:37 am

Those are the draft regulations which could be about to become law.
Quote" one third of the minimum pen size for each dog must be weatherproof and include raised sleeping quarters . . . . and must have solid walls to provide the dog with privacy from other animals . . . . ." It does not state how much of the area has to be "private"

If you think that is crazy, you should read the rest of the document!
I can assure you that all thinking dog people in Victoria have submitted written responses to these proposals - or at least, I hope they did.
Rachel Greaves

Postby Luke Dixon » Sat 14 Dec 2013 9:07 am

Is this part of this initiative? http://www.rspcavic.org/documents/Campaigns/BSL/RSPCA_Vic_analysis_of_July_2013_draft.pdf

What are they trying to achieve with the proposed legislation? What problem are they trying to address?

Dangerous dogs?
Puppy farms?

How does this affect people who "crate" their dogs?
What about at policegovernment facilities will them all be installing football pitch sized runs for any dog that stays there?
Luke Dixon

Postby Gareth Tawton » Sat 14 Dec 2013 9:11 am

Hi Luke,

I am sure there is no right or wrong just debate as to whether you should kennelyour dogs or leave them loose in the yard. Personally my dogs are loose when I am at home and come inside at night until I got to bed. They are kennelled over night and during the day while I am not at home.

I have a preference to individually kennel each dog with a sleeping area under cover and an outside run. I copied my kennels from a design used by Balckboy kennels in WA. They where the best I had seen. Mike and Glenyce had put a lot of thought into making the kennels easy to clean, comfortable for the dogs with protection from both heat and cold while at the same time allowing the dogs enough exposure to the elements to promote good coat growth. I would say my runs are about 1.8m x 3m plus the sleeping area. Concrete floor raised sleeping area. the drainage is to a piece of ag pipe that runs from a drainage pit into a gravel filled trench under the lawn.
Your design should be based around local weather conditions. For example cold my not be an issue in far north Qld but rain would be. Also take into consideration the breed. I would be more concerned about the cold with a GSP's than a lab. It seems a lot of GSP owners have trouble keeping weight on dogs during the quail season and winter months. This would be even harder if the dogs is shivering in the cold all day. Several quality GSP trainers I know coat there dogs a lot in the winter. this seems to work well.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Luke Dixon » Sat 14 Dec 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the reply Gareth,
I'm in Sydney so it does get cold, but not as cold as the ACT etc. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of you kennels if you've got some? PM me if you prefer? I suppose my concern is that living near the national park (as I do) a dog free in our yard has lots of opportunity to self serve in regard to hunting/chasing wildlife and also runs the risk of meeting a snake (my current male GSP has had three including a RBB. Which thankfully he came out on top of. :roll: obviously I would like to avoid these distractions/risks and thought that kennelling may achieve this.

However, my dogs are and would remain family pets also and hence would probably still be in the house with us in the evenings etc
Luke Dixon

Postby Brad Leggett » Sat 14 Dec 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Luke
I have 2 GSP's that I have in runs through the day and then roam the backyard when I am home and generally sleep inide. The main reason I got mine was because of safety having one of my dogs get out through the day however I believe that the confinement has helped with training and avoided unwanted behavior and quite often they will return to the runs to sleep during the day even when I m home. Mine are a off the shelf unit purchased through Col Western sheds in Sydney and are 2.4 long. 1.5 wide each plus a 1.5 x1.5 undercover area. The sides are on small feet for ease of cleaning and I paved the floor.
I am in Newcastle and find the temperature fairly stable in them although they are in a shaded part if the yard and I had them made with a white color bond roof.
Brad Leggett

Postby Luke Dixon » Sun 15 Dec 2013 8:10 am

Thanks Brad,
so do you kennel your dogs individually or together? from your post it sound like individual?

In honesty, it sounds very similar to my situation and I would suspect that mine would also be used in the same way as yours as the dogs are still part of the family as well. ;-)

Out of interest, is the mesh in your snake proof mesh?
Luke Dixon

Postby Luke Dixon » Sun 15 Dec 2013 8:25 am

just had a look at the col western site Brad, thanks for that, i've got an old gazeebo type structure that i am thinking of making the enclosed "kennel" but have been struggling to find a good solution for the run. CW sell the mesh panels seperately which just might answer my problem.
Luke Dixon

Postby Steve Grainger » Sun 15 Dec 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Luke l have runs for my dogs to use if I’m not home through the day for safety and sometimes at night. As Brad said the dogs love them and will often put themselves to bed through the day even when I’m home, sometimes all of them in the one kennel.
I built my runs from Col western panels for the sides and as I needed a triple I had the front made by a local shed manufacturer. I built the kennel area out of hardwood frame and compressed cement sheeting and zincalume roofing with raised hardwood floor. I put an awning over the whole area. Each run measures 2.4 metres in length 1.2 metres wide and 1.8 metres high ad each kennel/box area 1 metre square by 1.2 metres high. The runs house my GSP, Labradors and ESS.
Dog runs.jpg
Dog runs.jpg (96.39 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Steve Grainger

Postby Brad Leggett » Sun 15 Dec 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Luke
Yes they are individual runs separated by a common wall. I don't think the mesh would be snake proof. Steve put me on to Col Western and I've been happy with mine.
Brad Leggett

Postby Luke Dixon » Mon 16 Dec 2013 9:16 am

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies so far, very helpful.

In addition to your current help, The area that I am contemplating building my "runs" has an existing floor of brick style paving, which although better than dirt, I fear would smell after a very short time. With that in mind I am contemplating a few options.

1, Lay a concrete slab (this could be a very costly affair as the area is about 80 meters from the road and elevated about 10 meters as we live on a very uneven block)
2, Build a "floating" floor from timber(similar to a deck) and then fit underfloor drainage and fibre glass the entire affair.
3, Look for some kind of heavy duty rubber matting that will clean up easily, similar to the stuff that you get in the back of utes or horse floats.

Are there other options/recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help with this
Luke Dixon

Postby Laraine Frawley » Mon 16 Dec 2013 3:36 pm

Hi Luke

I have runs over brick paving and find it very successful. When they are hosed out some of the water soaks down between the bricks into the soil beneath. This keeps the bricks very cool and I find my dogs will lie out on these bricks on a hot day in preference to the trampoline beds or their kennels. My dogs are in the runs when I am not at home and have the run of the yard otherwise and come in at night. I don't find smell a problem but my dogs never tsoil or pee in their runs.

Laraine
Laraine Frawley

Next

Return to General