Pet Insurance Policies - Any advice on good ones?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Pet Insurance Policies - Any advice on good ones?

Postby Philippa Both » Sat 04 Jan 2014 2:48 pm

Hi - I expect I have just stepped into a minefield or opened a Pandora's box or both.
I am trying to decide on pet insurance for my two year old dog (Springer) who has pre existing illnesses (as he has been alive, breathing and doing active stuff on the planet during his life …) i.e. a couple of grass seeds, odd ear problem (always swimming) etc and most recently a foreign body ingestion. I have already signed up with a company but after making the big decision to do it - I am now thinking about cooling off on the policy!
I understand taking out the cover when you first pick up the pup is the ideal way to go - but I didn't that :cry: and maybe I will next time - so … has anyone got experience with choosing a company for an older dog? I have already run into exclusions for anything remotely related to grass seeds, allergies (he is not allergic), ear problems and probably some other things…..
Any feedback appreciated - there seems to be a lot of poor reviews about Pet Insurance in general on line. Does ANYONE think it is a good idea?
Perhaps don't worry about making suggestions related to getting a dog next time with smaller ears/less hair etc :roll: ….. Many Thanks. I would however appreciate feedback on which companies to TRY and which to AVOID.
Happy New Retrieving Year to you all,
Philippa
Philippa Both

Re: Pet Insurance Policies - Any advice on good ones?

Postby Diane McCann » Sat 04 Jan 2014 4:25 pm

Sorry Phillipa, never had pet insurance as too expensive when you own numerous dogs, however I think it can be a good idea for one or two dogs as if they need expensive surgery at least you can make that decision without the cost weighing you down. Pre-existing exclusions are shocking, however the ones that you mention are not likely to cost you a lot of money (except possibly for grass seeds if you get a wandering one)
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Lara Preston » Sat 04 Jan 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Phillipa, I use HCF for my young dog. Only$38 a month. We have way too many snakes and plenty of wildlife. A simple stitching can cost $500. And anti venom treatment up too $2000 (min). I've not made a claim yet with him, and hope I don't have too, but I would rather have the option of being able to save his life if it came down to it. You can pay an extra $10ish and have annual vac. Covered aswell.
Lara Preston

Postby Lynette Lennell » Sun 05 Jan 2014 1:00 pm

Hi Philippa,
I use Medibank pet insurance for Brogan and took it out as soon as we got him. So far I have found it to be good as we can claim up to $165 for Dog Rego, vaccinations and Recognised dog training club membership fees each year. Based on previous experience with Bailey I would highly recommend it but as you are already aware all policies have exclusions for Pre existing conditions. I suppose it's like Private health Insurance, there is always a chance that you may never use it, but worse case scenario if Alfie has to undergo any major surgery for bigger health issues at least you will have up to 80% of the costs covered by the policy.

Happy to chat further if you like.

Regards Lyn
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Philippa Both » Tue 07 Jan 2014 9:09 am

Thanks everyone for your responses to my question both in the forum and by private responses. Interestingly no-one has come back with the advice to avoid it altogether - as I thought might be the case. I have had one set of feedback about issues with a provider - but not about insurance per se. I have commenced policies for my two Springers - and hope I never need to use them!!!! In the process I have formed the opinion that I would definitely sign up for insurance immediately on taking on a pup in the future. I will just have to factor it into my cost of pet ownership. If you take on the insurance later in life - there will always be those policy exclusions due to the pre existing conditions - which makes the policy less comprehensive which is rather disappointing!
Going through the process of looking at all vet visits/costs for my two dogs - and I don't have much trouble with mine at all - there has still been significant cumulative costs for the minor "regular" problems. If you throw in one "major" mishap - then we would definitely have been way ahead with the insurance!
Thanks Again,
Philippa
Philippa Both

Postby Luke Dixon » Tue 07 Jan 2014 12:57 pm

Are they classed as "previous conditions?" I would have thought that a condition would be something that would have ongoing impact such long term illness that required management rather than simply something that they were treated for at some point. Surely if your dog broke a leg, it can't be classed as a previous "condition" which would mean that you can't claim if they break a leg on another occasion?

Something that I have been made aware of is that someone told me that if your dog gets a long term illness, they will pay out for year ones meds, but when you renew the policy they class that as an on going condition in some policies.
Luke Dixon

Postby Philippa Both » Tue 07 Jan 2014 5:05 pm

Hey Luke, not all policies are the same. Some policies are "all of life cover" some are not. I understand with "all of life cover" they will pay out each year up to your maximum insured level. Pre existing conditions that I have come up against are the ear infections and grass seed "injuries". I guess it is all about risk and they will assess the risk level related to the number of times the issue - (or an issue that is closely connected to or is likely to be subsequent to the past history) - has occurred in the past. Like say if a dog has had a nasty injury to a limb (i.e. broken leg involving a joint) they might not want to cover it for arthritis as this is a likely consequence further down the track….
Again, I guess the moral of the story is that if you interested in the concept - take it out immediately from 8 weeks of age or when you get the pup.
Cheers
Philippa
Philippa Both

Postby Luke Dixon » Fri 10 Jan 2014 7:41 am

As I have the three, I decided to put the money away each month in to a separate account and i only use it in the case of an emergency, any small bills for everyday issues I cover without touching the fund but I have the peace of mind of having something in backup in case of a major incident. I budgeted on $40 per dog per month, so $120 per month, thats 14,400 over a ten year period, and in honesty I would rather have it in my bank offsetting my mortgage than in an insurance companies coffers. :)
Luke Dixon

Return to General