Bumper Boy Transmitter replacement

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Bumper Boy Transmitter replacement

Postby Diane McCann » Thu 16 Jan 2014 8:46 am

My bumper boy transmitter (hand unit) has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about getting a replacement? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Diane
Diane McCann

Re: Bumper Boy Transmitter replacement

Postby Trevor Stow » Thu 16 Jan 2014 3:57 pm

Di

Mine is also playing up. Hope that it is not the same problem. If you get a solution, pls put it on the site.

Good luck
Trevor
Trevor Stow

Postby Craig Dyson » Thu 16 Jan 2014 5:37 pm

Is it possible to use one of the Dogtra or Tritronics release mechanisms to replace the Bumperboy ones, such as these

http://www.dogtrastore.com/rr.html
Craig Dyson

Postby Diane McCann » Thu 16 Jan 2014 7:34 pm

I don't know Craig, all over my head. Prue is going to put a post on the US forum to see if we can get any joy from there. Trevor I will let you know if I have any luck
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 17 Jan 2014 12:36 pm

Only problem I have had with the transmitter was it needing a new battery. Most of my problems are with the servo, but at long last I have found a supplier for the correct servo after several purchases of ones that were close but not the right one.
Hope you find a solution Di.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Peter and Helen Eley » Sat 18 Jan 2014 9:57 am

I would be inclined to go to one of the stores that cater for model builders. Many of the remote controls used to fly model planes have multiple channels and someone must be about to maintain their equipment, maybe they could tackle the electronics in the bumper boy controller
Peter and Helen Eley

Postby Trevor Stow » Tue 21 Jan 2014 11:08 am

Di, I took my transmitter to Battery World and they tested my battery. It was 4 years old and the charge was very low even though it had been charged recently. He said that a 4 year old battery was probably at its life's end. He wás able to sell me a replacement re-chargeable battery for about $7.00 out of stock. The salesman said that the new battery was a different type than the old one but it should work OK. He even rang up a supplier to check. He said that if I had any trouble with it I could return it and he would order me a new battery of the same type as the original. I have only used it once so far but it seems OK. Perhaps your problem is the same as mine and can be cheaply fixed.

What I found is in line with Kerry's experiences. I agree with her that the servos give a lot of trouble however mine seem to be OK now that since Bob Tawton got me a different (better) type of servo.

Good luck
Trevor
Trevor Stow

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 21 Jan 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks Trevor, I did have issues with the battery and replaced it with a normal 9 volt non-rechargable one. That worked fine for quite a while, maybe it led to other problems though? I am in the process of getting a replacement transmitter from bumber boy in the US, he seems to think that he can source one, fingers crossed
Diane
Diane McCann

Return to General