Importing a dog

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Importing a dog

Postby Dale Marshall » Wed 22 Jan 2014 7:24 am

For those that are thinking about importing a puppy or adult dog, related costs, vary with $ exchange rate from UK or USA
Airfare from UK $5000, vet costs and certificates $1115 , puppy purchase $1500, import application $390, Quarantine $525, Airport pickup $275 +++
Total of aprox $9000. Worst part is the rabies regulations, puppy cannot be vaccinated until 84 days old (12 wks), blood test(titre Test)is 30 days later, once titre test is completed it is 180 days before the pup can be exported, so now your pup is 294 days old, plus 10 days in quarantine before you pick up your puppy.
304 days (10 months old), whilst all this time is ticking by who is looking after your puppy and its training? Fees in the UK are puppy boarding 70 pound$130 p/w
To be trained and boarded 120 pound a week $225.00 p/w so you are up for less the 8wks of pup purchase 238 days of boarding/training 34 weeks at $225
$7650 plus all the other little add ons, landed in Australia your 10 month old dog owes you aprox $16,650. Training is cheaper in the USA but all times and restrictions are the same, airfares is aprox $3000 us out of Los Angeles. To those who have imported dogs i commend you, the headaches and stress involved with relying on other people is not easy, I have 1 Irish, 1 English, 1 Usa bitches arriving in the next twelve months, must be crazy,a very understanding partner and bank manager.
Dale Marshall
Huntogun Labradors
Dale Marshall

Re: Importing a dog

Postby Joe Law » Sat 25 Jan 2014 7:02 am

Dale, you are obviously embarking on a brave venture and I appreciate what you are trying to achieve over the long term. I know you have also spent many hours researching the best retrieving bloodlines and yes, you may well appear a little crazy and have a very understanding partner. However, I wouldn't worry about the bank manager, it's unlikely he will be the one to go hungry! Who knows? If all goes well for you we may be getting our dogs from Tassie in future. Best of luck and thanks for the information.
Joe Law

Return to General