Bark collar

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Re: Bark collar

Postby Lara Preston » Fri 07 Feb 2014 3:38 pm

I still can hear her but it is so quiet. I've heard some pretty shocking debarks, which are extremely annoying.
Lara Preston

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 07 Feb 2014 6:39 pm

First thing you did wrong Kerrie is go to the RSPCA. They are corrupt and do not give a damn. Council will go by what is written in their little list of rules, so that is a waste of time also.
If you want to try a bark collar, just get one. What happens on your property is your business and if it solves your problem then no one is going to venture in to see why. I have had some barkers over the years, not bad ones but a couple that bark when excited. I trained them at home with a bark collar so they new what the consequences of an unnecessary bark produced, then just had a fake one that I could put on them later on if need be. Maybe they were a bit dumb, but they never knew the difference. I have heard a debarked dog before & didn't particularly like it, but for real problem barkers I suppose it is a last resort and much better than rehoming or worse.
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Diane McCann » Fri 07 Feb 2014 7:48 pm

I tend to agree with Kerry, personally I would give an electronic bark collar a go regardless of state regulations, don't think your neighbours would complain if your boy was quiet :) Also agree re RSPCA, what a shitty organisation. Once again, don't envy you and good luck
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Gareth Tawton » Fri 07 Feb 2014 9:06 pm

Di and Kerry
I see in the news the RSPCA are in a spot of bother at their refuge down the road from mum and dad's place in Canberra. They filled a bunch of rabbit holes with concrete!! Apparently they should have found a better way to get rid of the rabbits than dehydration and starvation in a hole!! Should I ring and offer a gun shot?? We need game for the next trial. I've run out of blue budgies which means no blinds until we get some pigeons.
Gareth Tawton

Postby Diane McCann » Sat 08 Feb 2014 4:34 pm

Gareth, that is funny! Imagine what they would do if someone else did that? World gone mad
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Mon 10 Feb 2014 8:49 am

Hi Kerry , Di and Gareth,

If home was my only problem he would be wearing an e collar by now. He is a clever boy and tests EVERY collar he wears, maybe because he is highly strung and has looses control regardless of the consequences. Training a second dog and trialing are also a noisy nightmare. If I had bought him as a pup I believe he could have been trained but that boat has long sailed. I am definitely worried about the potential horrible noise I will be left with, but after 2 years and 4 months I give in. I did consider moving interstate but that would limit where I can trial. I totally agree with the opinions on the RSPCA - their view (apart from law) is that 1 surgery verses ongoing e collar use is more humane for the dog. Too bad we can't have a case by case decision made.
By my own conscience, damned if I do - damned if I don't.

Regards Kerrie

P.S. Gareth, if you would like to have a go, let me know. :P
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Luke Dixon » Tue 11 Feb 2014 8:21 am

Kerrie,
I believe with an e collar, if the dog is conditioned correctly, they would not test the collar, as they have no idea that it is the collar is linked to the aversive. It would probably mean taking the dog out of circulation for a little while, but once it has got the idea, I think you would be up and running in a very short time.
Luke Dixon

Postby Claire Wade » Sat 15 Feb 2014 11:32 am

I work with a number of animal behaviourists and we were discussing nuisance barking. One possible solution that has not been suggested yet here is the use of the Adaptil collar. I am told it has success in ~50% of cases (likely where anxiety is affecting the result). It costs about $40 and may be worth a try ahead of de-barking.
Claire Wade

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Tue 25 Feb 2014 12:53 am

Thanks Claire,

I will give it a go. I have decided against debarking as it may appease the neighbours but does nothing to reduce the stress on the dog or me. Fingers crossed this works, at least at home. I completed the survey you posted and they want a DNA sample from him.

Regards Kerrie.
Kerrie Armstrong

Previous

Return to General