Bark collar

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Bark collar

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Mon 03 Feb 2014 10:24 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone know of a strong spray citronella bark collar. I have a problem barker when left home alone and extremely bad when not having his turn at training and trials.
I get complaints from both neighbours and other trialers and cant find a collar with a strong spray and a large chamber. I'm open to any ideas that may help.
Thanks Kerrie.
Kerrie Armstrong

Re: Bark collar

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Thu 06 Feb 2014 1:07 pm

I am guessing that no-one has any advise on how to curb a problem barker. I inherited this trait as he was over 3 years when I bought him and had been allowed to bark to his hearts content kennelled well away from the house and had not been trialed. Is there no knowledge or suggestions out there on what to try? I am now looking at re-homing him or surgically de-barking him - both options are last resort. The third option is a e barking collar and as we all know illegal in NSW. If you have an idea please post.
Kerrie.
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Rachel Greaves » Thu 06 Feb 2014 1:45 pm

http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/arti ... -and-facts

The above web site has good info about debarking.
Rachel Greaves

Postby Joe Law » Thu 06 Feb 2014 1:49 pm

Kerrie, I can understand your frustration and am inclined to think that avoidance type collars in the past and/or some unfortunate genetics have contributed to your problem.
I was waiting to see if those claiming more experience in these areas were able to offer a solution.
I am also inclined to think that you dispersing a strong spray of citronella in the holding hide at a trial would only have caused further complaints. At least you appear to have searched for a solution to the problem you inherited. Don’t bash yourself up any more and do what you have to do!
As you are a victim of the re-homing process it is hard to see how repeating the exercise will be a solution. I have seen you struggle with this problem for long enough and I won’t be one to criticise your decision.
Joe Law

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Thu 06 Feb 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Rachel
After reading the de-bark website I am feeling less guilty at my enquiries to surgery. I think it is the fairest solution for both my dog and myself (and neighbours,trialers,etc) to go down this path. The vet I am trying to contact uses laser which is the most modern approach. Having said this, it is not a decision made lightly. Thank you.

Hi Joe,
Thank you for your kind words. I know you have experienced my dilemma on more than one occasion. It is very frustrating being powerless and he is excessive.

Regards Kerrie.
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 06 Feb 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Kerrie

I was going to suggest talking to John Lawton of specialized dog accessories and Joe Law as his nsw agent. They advertise e-collars and bark collars. I guess from Joes response they don't have something that would fit the bill.
There have been plenty of triallers who have openly used the electric version, some of whom are ardent members of the anti- collar brigade. Go figure??? In fact one qld judge referred to his as the dogs bow tie. His dog needed to wear his bow tie when out in public so he rememberer his manners!!!!
All jokes aside I have found this is fault usually caused by environmental factors such as being left to bark with no ramifications as a young dog. Once the behavior is ingrained it is very very difficult to change.
I have used a relatively tight fitting muzzle on a dog I was looking after for a while. That worked pretty well.
If memory serves me correctly years ago Barry Baker had a dog which I think he got in similar circumstances to you. In the end he had her debarked. The bark became more of a cough but was certainly easier on the neighbors.
Have you talked to an animal behaviorist? I paid for a consult with Dr Robert Holmes years ago and was worth every cent and saved me putting a dog down.
Sorry I can't help more.
Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Joe Law » Thu 06 Feb 2014 2:49 pm

Gareth,
Just for the record, I don't sell electric collars or chemical avoidance collars and have never done so.
Joe Law

Postby Sally Haynes » Thu 06 Feb 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Kerrie

For a short-term solution have you tried the "husher" muzzle? I have no experience with them myself but limited research suggests they are reasonably effective. The dog can still pant and drink but cannot open it's mouth wide enough to bark. The citronella collars can be ineffective because the unpleasant smell will remain even when the dog has stopped barking. Some sort of behaviour modification program is probably useful long-term. My dogs tend to be pretty quiet, EXCEPT if I'm training one in full view of the other. I have started doing crate games with them both and asking for one to do an off leash stay whilst the other is training. Yes, it's a juggle to train 2 dogs at once but I began with very simple exercises and the peace and quiet is worth it!

Sally.
Sally Haynes

Postby Diane McCann » Thu 06 Feb 2014 5:31 pm

I have found electronic bark collars effective in breaking the habit when you are not around to do anything about it. That combined with rewarding quiet behaviour and providing a negative to barking (vinegar spray in a bottle, a whack with a plastic hose, etc) has been successful for me. I would certainly try an electronic bark collar before de-barking, but if it doesn't work then sometimes de-barking is the only way to deal with it. Good luck Kerrie
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Thu 06 Feb 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
I would certainly use an e bark collar if it was legal in NSW, and as Joe suggested, he has been conditioned. All electronic devices on dogs are banned here. I spoke to a dog trainer re my dilemma and he stated my biggest hurdle for this dog was the state that I live in. I have also tried the husher and muzzle but my boy still manages to emit a high pitched and forceful "noise" and does not stop. I am reluctant to have him de-barked as the the noise that is left is disturbing to me, but I dont think that I have another reasonable choice.
Once again, thank you all. If I want to keep my dog and sanity I will look at surgery.

Regards Kerrie
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Thu 06 Feb 2014 7:01 pm

Hi sally,

I have tried separating the dogs when training but Seca only has to hear the whistle or thud of the dummy and he is off. The gun at trials is another trigger and unfortunately a closed car is not a barrier for him. He has great gusto in all that he does. :P

Regards Kerrie
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Sally Haynes » Thu 06 Feb 2014 7:12 pm

Completely understand Kerrie. If you do go down the debarking route make sure you have all the prerequisite paperwork to back you up or else you may fall foul of the powers that be. Some vets are not aware of the legal requirements but you are the one who would be targeted. I think the AVA would be a good place to start and there are two relevant pieces of legislation (I think!). Also, I hear that cauterising is the preferred method nowadays as it results in less scar tissue.

Sally.
Sally Haynes

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Thu 06 Feb 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks Sally,

I'll look into it. So far all that I know is I need a stat dec stating that he is a nuisance barker and signed off by my neighbours.

Regards Kerrie
Kerrie Armstrong

Postby Lara Preston » Thu 06 Feb 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Kerrie, I can highly recommend de-barking. My old girl was done when she was 2, I exhausted every other option and couldn't bear the thought of her not being with us. She is happy, still screams and barks whenever she pleases and it doesn't bother anyone. The vet did a brilliant job and she is very quiet. If stinger was younger he would also be done, he drives us crazy and puts a lot of tension on the household. I think genetics also has a lot to do with it. I think the only reason he wasn't done was due to the fact we have so many snakes, I've always said I must be able to hear one of them. Thank god I finally have a calmer and quieter one!!!
Lara Preston

Postby Kerrie Armstrong » Fri 07 Feb 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Lara,

When you say your is very quite after her procedure, do you still hear anything or is there silence? Any dog that I have heard sound horrible so silence would be good.
I have spoken today to the RSPCA and an inspector and the council re: special permission to own a E bark collar. No way at all. It is considered more humane to de-bark once rather than ongoing zaps so my hands are tied. I can only find one vet who will do the op in the Hunter and the only way it goes ahead, is, if I receive a letter of complaint from the council. So off to the neighbours I go to dob us in to the council.

Regards Kerrie
Kerrie Armstrong

Next

Return to General