FIELD & RETRIEVING JUDGES RULE AMENDMENT

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

FIELD & RETRIEVING JUDGES RULE AMENDMENT

Postby Amand Golle » Thu 06 Feb 2014 10:28 am

RULE AMENDMENT
The A.N.K.C. Website posted this notification and confirmed on 19-20th October 2013 in the Summary of the A.N.K.C. Ltd Annual General Meeting and Board Meeting -
NATIONAL JUDGES' CODE OF PRACTICE FOR FIELD & RETRIEVING JUDGES.

"8. A Judge shall not judge any person or member of their immediate family who resides in the same household, in any Stake at which the Judge is officiating. (i.e. A judge may be permitted to judge a member of their immediate family where that person resides at a different address) (Amended 10/13 - 6.17)

My interest is in two parts-

1. How do fellow triallers feel about this rule change?

2. How can those who represent us in our sport justify the BLATENT OFFENSIVE DISCRIMINATION to every Judge who is happily married or in a permanent relationship or has immediate family living at home???

My Rational-
Rule Changes or Amendments SHOULD ENDEAVOUR TO IMPROVE AND ENHANCE our wonderful sport of working Pure-Bred Gundogs!!!

Therefore to discriminate against decent people, our Judges, in this way surely is not in the best interest of everyone concerned.

Please consider,
Amand Gollé
Amand Golle

Re: FIELD & RETRIEVING JUDGES RULE AMENDMENT

Postby Joe Law » Thu 06 Feb 2014 2:04 pm

Amand, so you think there is some rough justice here! Maybe you are meant to believe that bias only exists in the minds of married judges living at the same address!
Joe Law

Postby Allan Bartram » Thu 06 Feb 2014 6:21 pm

Amand,
This rule change was instigated to bring the Retrieving/Field trial rules into line with the other (Show, obedience,agility) rules of the ANKC. Basically it now alllows Fathers to judge sons or daughters, or brothers or sisters to judge each other in trials provided they live at a different address. Previously the rules of Retrieving and Field trials did not allow this. At least its an improvement on that.
However I wholeheartedly agree with you that it has always been a bone of contention that these rules question the integrity of our Judges....

best regards
Allan
Allan Bartram

Postby Steve Bath » Thu 06 Feb 2014 9:03 pm

Amand,

In my humble opinion the rule change as it stands provides protection for our judges against the potential for unjustified criticism to be levelled at them due to a perceived conflict of interest influencing their judging/scoring. Whilst still being a relative newcomer to this micro sport, I have witnessed first hand many instances of fiercely competitive individuals not being able to conceal their contempt at a result that they were not in agreement with. I wish I had more confidence in the human condition, but I feel it would be inevitable that "sour grapes" would be the order of the day should a judge deliver the victory in a prestigious trial to his/her spouse, no matter how deservedly, if the rules allowed such a circumstance. I suspect similar mutterings will surface if a judge happens to award 1st place to a relative that is not domiciled with the judge, as it would seem the rules now permit.

Be assured I have no issue with the integrity of our judges, but you are asking me to cast the net much wider!!! I will be ecstatic if I am proved wrong in my assumptions.

Best regards, Steve Bath
Steve Bath

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 07 Feb 2014 6:47 am

Hi All

"A Judge shall not judge any person or member of their immediate family........etc" !!

As a judge I have never judged anyone - I judge the performance of dogs.

It would obviously be a bit suss if a judge were to judge his or her own dogs (handled by a third party) - particularly if they won a major event. Dogs residing in the same household as the judge are as close as you can get to this situation.

The new rule, while being poorly drafted, is an improvement as it widens the ability of judges to judge exhibits owned by their relatives and I thank those that have supported its introduction.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Joe Law » Fri 07 Feb 2014 7:30 am

I feel there would be many similar related issues in society and below is just one randomly taken from www.

Is it illegal for a suregon to operate on there own family members?
Schief asked 5 years ago - (Tiebreaker)
I made a bet with my brother so thats why i am asking.

Vote for Best Answer

Follow

Watchlist

Other Answers (3)
Answerer #1 answered 5 years ago 
It is not illegal... it's just usually not done, since the close family ties could make the surgeon feel nervous and he might mess up. 
Source(s):
Before he retired, my dad was a family practice doctor and surgeon. We had this conversation a long time ago.

Answerer #2 answered 5 years ago 
The AMA has standards that are not necessarily involved with laws. Short answer - in what state? What degree of kinship?

Rate

Answerer #3 answered 5 years ago 
i'm not sure
but i don't think they should.
when a doctor is operating on someone it takes a lot of concentration and if something were to go wrong they would feel even worse if it was a family member.
so most of the time doctors don't operate on their own family
basically it's too emotionally involved with the patient
they have too much of a conection

Rate

None of these answers doing it for you?
No Best Answer
No Best Answer No

So here's a related question to think about! Would it be possible or appropriate for a judge to refuse to judge an entry from a family member in the same way a doctor would probably decide not to operate on a family member?
Joe Law

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 07 Feb 2014 7:49 am

Hi Joe

I have one or two family members on whom I would be prepared to perform operations - but that is a different story.

Under the rules I do not think judges can refuse to judge entries if they are submitted "legally".

How would it go if a legal case came up where a magistrate was listed to judge his wife, say, on a charge of shoplifting? Most people would have no difficulty identifying a "Conflict of interest" - and that would hardly be an attack on the integrity of the magistrate.

Cheers
"Dr" Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Joe Law » Fri 07 Feb 2014 8:35 am

Dear Dr.Alan,
Where do you practice? I also have some contacts I could refer to you.
Joe Law

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 07 Feb 2014 8:49 am

Hi Joe

My patients are usually described as "victims".

I usually practise in my garage. The operations involve the demise of pigeons.

But if required to do something more intricate I have a Stanley knife - so just send any referrals over and I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Alan AKA "Dr Death"
Alan Donovan

Postby Joe Law » Fri 07 Feb 2014 9:18 am

Dear DR Death,

You're not trying to change the topic by any chance?
Joe Law

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 07 Feb 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Joe

Moi? ..........Hijack a thread?

Perish the thought

By the way have you looked at the proposed rule changes?

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Joe Law » Fri 07 Feb 2014 1:26 pm

Yes Alan, and NSW public meeting to discuss these is on Monday evening, but we really should open a new topic! Discussing pigeons along with the responsible behaviour of married judges living at the same address could be confusing. BTW have you been following the discussion on the relative merits of different bloodlines in the "For Sale" section?
Joe Law

Return to General