as we were - 15 years on

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

as we were - 15 years on

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Tue 10 Aug 2004 2:43 pm

In an earlier post under a different heading (New Pup Aboard) Garrick asked:

[Julian,
Have you found many differences having returned to retrieving after a prolonged layoff?]

First, Garrick, sincere apologies for the long delay in getting back to you but as I said in a private email your post came as I was on the verge of leaving for a two-week break and since my return my mouth seems to have run away with me and I find I've 'volunteered' for several gundog related tasks; not least putting my hand up to be one of the game stewards at the National.

Not having yet competed in a modern trial I can't really make an objective comparison between the sport today and as I found it almost 20 years ago.

However even without having experienced the thrills and spills of current competition I have already become impressed with the openness and generosity of those involved in the sport. Please don’t misconstrue my sentiments here. Such warm-hearted types were always there and certainly I had the honour of meeting some of them but they tended to be less prominent than today; perhaps retiring wallflower types uncertain of how to encourage newcomers. Almost from the moment I made the decision to return to the sport I’ve encountered a number of 'experts' (potential 'mentors') more than willing to share their experiences and knowledge with me: Amand & Georgina Golle, Alan Donovan, Bruce & Dot Thompson, to name but a few of those who rushed in to welcome me once I crossed the threshold.

In the 'good old days' (which were perhaps less that ideal) it was always very difficult to 'meet' inter-State gundog enthusiasts. They of course foregathered at Nationals but not many of us travelled inter-State if we did not have a dog entered. I recall meeting people such as the late Peter Halford (coincidently we hailed from neighbouring counties in England and shared a keen interest in the Drakeshead line), Jake Christensen, John Palmer, Pat Green, Joe Vella, etc. at both a Queensland State Trial and at the subsequent National.

Along with a small handful of other Queensland competitors I used to make the annual pilgrimage into northern NSW to compete (spending nights at the 'Dorothea McKellar Motel' in Gunnedah) and naturally met several other 'lights', including Mike Luce, the breeder of my current young dog, Zak.

But competitors from Western Australia, Tasmania and to a slightly lesser extent South Australia were alien beings. I don't even recall being aware of the sport in those states although it must have been flourishing there as much as in Queensland. This very forum has bridged that gap in one fell swoop! I’ve already incurred the better (or should that read ‘bitter’?) end of at least one inter-State poster’s tongue! And with the posting of trial results from hither and thither I feel I almost know every competitor and her/his dog (NB the politically-appropriate alphabetical order of those pronouns) around the country.

I was naturally aware of Field/Retriever Trials in the UK - and still retain fond memories of watching a young black Cocker Spaniel by the name of ‘Nigger’ (try getting away with that in today’s politically-correct ambiance) run its competition ragged over and across snow-clad mountain tops in North Wales. The United States on the other hand was a strange outback spot from which we heard disturbing reports about electronic collars used to zap dogs into instant obedience to the least human utterance. As I tended to use British books I was unaware of James Lamb Free. Come to think of it, it wasn’t that easy to buy training books and/or equipment from overseas and the process took quite some time. Those of us with relations in the UK had an easier route. No doubt those with familial/social links in the US also had shortcuts.

The advent of the Internet has brought about dramatic changes to that situation. Not only can I ‘tune’ into the sport in both the UK and the United States but can also focus in on Canada, South Africa and more recently came across an English version of a Belgian site providing data on the Euro Cup (a retriever-based award). Working Retriever Central has opened up whole new vistas in terms of keeping in touch with overseas field/retriever trials. And of course buying overseas books/equipment has become as easy as tapping out letters on a keyboard.

And while in that train of thought the advent of the video has also introduced a new element to learning how to train your dog. I recently purchased both volumes of Paul French’s “The Drakeshead Way” series and have already dropped a broad hint that a copy of the 2002 British IGL Championship in the old red sock would bring a warm glow to the cockles.

Back in the 80s you battled through two Novice Stakes and collected the accompanying trophies and sashes. There was however one less than memorable occasion when ‘George’ and I were the only team to complete the three Novice runs (in pouring rain) only to have the judge determine that we did not deserve the distinction of being awarded a place! It was tough in those days!

From Novice you moved up to Restricted where again two wins (with trophies and sashes) saw you advance to All Aged. Here of course you needed two wins to gain the only ‘title’ allowed, Retrieving Trial Champion (RTCH). I never involved myself in Field Trials; they were for those with GSPs and springers!

This lack of recognition other than the ‘RTCH’ title was, in my humble opinion, the root of much evil that permeated throughout the sport. But it would be crass to dwell upon these unpleasant episodes at this point. Those interested may like to browse http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bpointer and follow the links for “Julian’s Dogs”.

Time to cease. I hope the above answers your curiosity at least in part.

Julian

Julian Bielewicz

Return to General