A new record?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

A new record?

Postby Alan Donovan » Wed 23 Apr 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Folks

I may have a new record - my dog "Numnuts" achieved elimination within 5 seconds of starting in his All Age stake on Sunday.

All my fault - I forgot to tell him that in the double mark if he crossed an imaginary line down the centre when going to get the bird on the left (so he would get to the right side of said line) he would be no scored.

Numnuts has a great record of getting to the target bird by never running a straight line, so as usual headed right and was out within 10 metres of leaving me.

Has anyone achieved elimination in less than 5 seconds? I was thinking of sponsoring a Perpetual Trophy (naturally to be called "The Numnuts Cup") to be awarded on a national basis annually for the dog to be eliminated in the shortest time.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Re: A new record?

Postby Allan Bartram » Fri 02 May 2014 6:54 pm

Al,
Not a bad effort by your hound ...but not the best....
Back in 1997 at the Queensland National, I remember one inexperienced local lady competitor was eliminated on her first run before she actually reached the firing point!.
It was a single blind with a distraction bird cast to land in a pond, which was visible to the dog whilst it was left in the hide. If your dog moved out of the hide ......goodnight !
From memory we were also given PRINTED instructions on how to progress through the run!
Aaaaah memories

Good luck with "Numnuts"

Allan
Allan Bartram

Re: A new record?

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 02 May 2014 9:16 pm

Hi Allan - yes that memorable achievement may have been 17 years ago but I remember it well. Of course since then we have had another dog eliminated when it was in the hide (and obviously before it reached the firing point) because the handler fired at the 2 blinds in the wrong order.

Perhaps the "Numnuts Trophy" - rather than being awarded to a dog - should be awarded to the handler who stuffs it up (as the dog is just an innocent participant).

Or maybe the "Numnuts" should go to the judge who shows the most imagination in finding a new quick way to get rid of dogs before they have actually done anything at all?

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Return to General