Jack Montasell's Girls

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Jack Montasell's Girls

Postby Anne Montasell » Wed 21 May 2014 4:05 pm

Hi all. Jack's daughter Anne here and I thought those that knew them might like an update on Jack's three girls, Rusty, Rosy and Lass.
It's been over two years since they came to live with me and they are going really well. I am sure they miss Jack, and that I have 'ruined them', but they seem to be enjoying their retirement. Rusty is still very cheeky (a bit deaf too), and Rosy is always well behaved (unless you're not looking), and Lass... what can I say, she is still an idiot. We have a male English staffy (Cooper) and old border collie girl (Soxy) that also share our home and they all get on. Lass and Cooper are more or less Dumb and Dumber, but that's the younger generation for you.
My sister Vivienne helps with food and a run down the river... unlike Jack, we find three dogs at once a bit much, so they usually go individually. I had a shelter and fencing built for them, so they are comfy as well.

I would like to post some pictures but I will have to work out how to. Thanks for letting me post. Anne.
Anne Montasell

Re: Jack Montasell's Girls

Postby Sally Haynes » Wed 21 May 2014 5:27 pm

Hello Anne and welcome!

What a lovely first post and it sounds like the girls are enjoying a wonderful retirement. As a relative newcomer, I did not know Jack well but I have a huge respect for what he brought to the sport of retrieving. I can assure you he is often spoken of amongst triallers in very glowing terms. I will get in touch and help you with the photos.

Warmest regards,

Sally.
Sally Haynes

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 21 May 2014 6:18 pm

Hello Anne - lovely to hear from you and that Jack's dogs are thriving. Hardly a week goes by without my wishing Jack was around to obtain information of one sort or another - he was a mine of information about our sport. I still miss the regular training sessions with Jack and his yellow Labradors and had been wondering how they were. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby norma harry » Thu 22 May 2014 2:35 pm

So lovely to hear from you Anne, Jack was brought up in conversation only a few weeks back, they had heard about him but had never met him, so I was able to fill in some stories, I was then wondering how his girls were going. I think we "Golden Girls" came in a way back 2nd place after his "Yellow Girls".
Lovely memories.
Golden Girls Norma & Margaret xxxx
norma harry

Postby Anne Montasell » Thu 22 May 2014 10:03 pm

Thank you all so much. I just wanted all to know that the dogs are looked after and will probably outlive us all!!
The girls look at me and reckon "that's not the way you do it", but they cope with me... Rosie still has to get all their bowls after dinner (Rusty does occasionally, but Lass never).
So again, thanks for letting me drop by and chat.
Love Anne.
Anne Montasell

Postby Sally Haynes » Fri 23 May 2014 11:02 am

Posting some photos on behalf of Anne…

Jack's girls: Rusty, Lass and Rosie along with their mate, Cooper…
Attachments
Cooper's kennel 1.jpg
Cooper's kennel 1.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
Labs' kennel.jpg
Labs' kennel.jpg (128.48 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
Rusty, Lass and Rosie.jpg
Rusty, Lass and Rosie.jpg (227.24 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
Sally Haynes

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 23 May 2014 3:27 pm

Hello Anne, The three dogs look very happy and Jack would be so pleased that they are being looked after so well.
None of us will forget Jack in a hurry, apart from being quite a character, he also had so many years of dog knowledge. I always called him my "Uncle Jack" as when we brought him over to W.A. using FF points I had to nominate him as my "uncle", and so the title stuck. Thanks for the update on the girls.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Diane McCann » Sun 25 May 2014 6:44 pm

Thank you Anne!
Diane
Diane McCann

Return to General