Farewell Ray Penman

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Farewell Ray Penman

Postby Barrie Tyson » Sun 22 Jun 2014 9:59 am

Those of you who have been to trials in WA in recent years may well have met Ray and seen his lovely black Lab Inky working in All Age. The sad news is Ray passed away last week from a blood clot following surgery. I found out through Facebook.

I enjoyed Ray's company when I lived in WA and I know he will be greatly missed by friends and family.

Farewell Ray, it's been a privilege knowing you.

Barrie
Barrie Tyson

Re: Farewell Ray Penman

Postby Allan Bartram » Mon 23 Jun 2014 6:32 pm

Yes indeed, the WA Trialing fraternity is shocked and saddend to learn of Ray's sudden and unexpected passing.
He had been competing,(and placed third) only the previous weekend and was looking forward to finally getting into hospital for the long awaited knee surgery. His "gammy" leg had been causing him some pain for a good few years !
He was planning to be fit and ready for the Cup, Flash and State Championship in September, and especially getting ready for Novice with his new "Inky" pup Ranger.
Ray was a stalwart of the Retrieving Club in WA ...having been one of the founding members,and was always ready to give a helping hand.
In his early life Ray had been a Champion cyclist.......we knew him as a Champion bloke .
R.I.P Ray.

Allan & Catherine
Allan Bartram

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 23 Jun 2014 7:03 pm

On behalf of the Retrieving Club of W.A. members and committee, I wish to pay tribute to Ray Penman who was such a helpful and cheerful member of our club. Ray will be sadly missed by our committee and by all the people who knew him within the retrieving fraternity. Ray's pride and joy was his Labrador, Inky, (Moralana Trailblazer), and he was so proud of the success that he achieved in the 6 years he had him. His keenness to continue on in the sport of retrieving saw him welcome a new puppy into his home. Ranger is a son of Inky out of a Beereegan bitch and was to be Ray's next champion. Ray always was the first to put up his hand to volunteer for a job, and despite his disability with his knee of late, he still would help in whatever capacity he was able. His support for his training partners often saw Ray attending Novice trials, just to be there to cheer them on, and he was always cheery and often the first to congratulate placegetters. To lose Ray so suddenly when he was planning so much ahead of him, is so tragic, and we all mourn the loss of such a wonderful man.
Our sincere sympathy to Ray's family at this sad time. We will raise a glass to you Ray at our next trial. Rest in Peace.

Kerry Webster
President RCWA
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Judy Pannett » Mon 23 Jun 2014 9:26 pm

Our retrieving trials will not be the same without Ray. His cheerful good morning, readyness to have a chat & interest in us all will be sadly missed. He was always a true gentleman.
RIP Ray
Judy
Judy Pannett

Postby Gerry Knight » Mon 21 Jul 2014 7:42 am

I am posting this on behalf of Marie Ewen, Glenice McClure and my self who have known you from our training days in the 60's.
So much has passed since those days long ago that will never forgotten.
It was a great shock to to us all.
When we first met me discovered our paths almost crossed in the UK when we found we were both in the Zeus bike club and had raced over the same roads in Essex but in diferent years.
Then those early morning training days where we fumbled our way thro' our early learning years.
We listend to Dear Old Linc Sullivan who was a great help with his knowledge of retrieving.
You and I must have set a record for the longest trial. Something like 4 months. Will never forget that day.
You are sadly missed in this short time from your passing but will never be forgotten.
Rest in Peace young fella
Gerry Knight
Gerry Knight

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 23 Jul 2014 1:46 pm

On the 4th of July, we farewelled our friend Ray at a lovely and moving service. Ray's family and friends were gathered at the funeral home in Canning Vale to pay respect to a man who was going to be missed greatly. The funeral director was happy to have the 30 + gundogs and their owners be a part of the service inside the building and we all gathered behind the area where family were seated. All the dogs were very respectful and behaved impeccably during the hour service and then formed a guard of honour for the coffin and family members as they walked from the building. All the dogs and handlers then formed two lines as a guard of honour between which the hearse drove slowly through. A last fitting tribute to one of our favourite trialers in W.A.

My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Return to General