Snakes in our backyard

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Snakes in our backyard

Postby Ray Temple » Sat 01 Nov 2014 9:39 am

We have now found a second snake in our backyard.
Our dogs are house dogs & only go outside to relieve themselves or to play.
Saw our bitch running up & down the fence. Wife said she would be after a lizard, but i said it could be a snake & went to investigate. Sure enough it was a snake, baby brown i think. Tried to get it with a shovel but it disappeared, probably in the holes in the retaining wall. Now afraid to let the dogs out. Also keeping a good eye on our girl.
Does anyone have advice on how to snake proof our yard. Info that i have read indicates that there is not much that can be done, but surely something must prevent them from getting in.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Ray
Ray Temple

Re: Snakes in our backyard

Postby Gareth Tawton » Sat 01 Nov 2014 12:37 pm

Ray,
Lay some bird netting down along the fence line. The snakes get stuck in the bird netting then die because they can't get out of the sun.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Peter Butterfield » Sun 02 Nov 2014 6:02 am

Hey Ray
Check out these solar snake deterrents http://www.pestrol.com.au/set-snake-away.html. A friend in Mudgee on a very snake prone property has used these around their house perimeter for a couple of years with success. They put a high frequency ping into the ground that snakes hate. They are a bit expensive (not compared to a vet bill) and can also be found on ebay and elsewhere.
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Postby Brad Leggett » Sun 02 Nov 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Ray

I had a 5 foot brown snake in my back yard last Sunday. The dogs luckily showed little interest and it got back into its hiding spot before I could deal with it. As I was going away working my wife got a snake handler to come out the next day and he suggested a solid barrier at all entry ways to the yard at least 2 inches high such as a timber sleeper. He said that the snakes snif there way along with their heads a couple of inches off the ground and if the hit a barrier they are less likely to continue into the space. Along with clearing out the usual hazards I hope this helps.

Brad
Brad Leggett

Postby Ray Temple » Tue 04 Nov 2014 7:45 am

Hi Gareth, Peter & Brad,

Thanks for your advice.
Snake has disappeared, which is a bigger worry.
Need to do something???
Ray
Ray Temple

Postby Wendy Michalk » Thu 06 Nov 2014 10:13 am

Hi Ray,
have a family member in Parkes (Lots of snakes !) who has used the snake barrier that Peter was writing about for the last 2 summers& has found it very good , it covers a big area around her house.
Cheers
Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Postby Ray Temple » Thu 06 Nov 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Wendy & Peter,
Have heard many reports about the snake stopper & mostly they say they don't work, however your advice is that they do work. Wondering if it is a particular brand that works or not.
Another query is their coverage, 35sq m means that they need to be spaced at 7m intervals to protect the boundary. Would this be correct. Also they may be in indirect sunlight, any idea how much their performance is reduced.

I also looked at the bird mesh that Gareth mentioned. Not sure how to install it against fences & retaining walls.

Regards

Ray
Ray Temple

Postby Lara Preston » Thu 06 Nov 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Ray, in regard to the fruit/bird netting, just layer upon layer itself (loosely) about 3 times and about a meter wide, the more layers they need to get through the less chance they can get out, just make sure the dogs can't get near it until you can 'relocate' it, as they can still be bitten. It's been a godsend behind my dog run!
Lara
Lara Preston

Postby Wendy Michalk » Mon 10 Nov 2014 11:59 am

Hui Again Ray
Have contacted family, she has a couple of friends who also use snake deterents & they feel that they work guess you can't be a %100 sure how many snakes are around but they have used them for the past 2 summers ,as usual neither can remember the brand one got theirs on Internet the other from Landline. They need to be moved occasionally & cover about 60 mtrs, best I can offer
cheers Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Return to General