Amended Rules Effective from 1st January.

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Amended Rules Effective from 1st January.

Postby Trevor Stevens » Mon 17 Nov 2014 2:20 pm

As previously advised on this site I have promised to provide a summary of the significant changes to the rules that came out of the National RAFT meeting.
In Retrieving Trials, changes have been made to the following clauses;
Rule 37, Rule 38, Rule 48, Rule 77, Rule 106, Rule 107, Judges Sheet,
I think the most significant changes are :
• The number of points on the score sheet that are allocated to heeling, obedience, steadiness around the pegs as been reduced from 10 to 5. As a consequence, the total points on the score sheet will reduce from 65 to 60.
• A new suffix of Qualifying Restricted Dog (QRD) has been introduced for dogs that successfully complete seven (7) Restricted stakes. Competitors must maintain their own record (to be signed by the judge on the day of the trial), in the same way as is done for QND and AARD.
• Dogs may remain in Novice or Restricted stakes until they have had five wins in those stakes (although they are not compelled to do so). They will still be eligible for the titles of NRD and RRD after three (3) wins in Novice and Restricted respectively (as they are now) but may continue to compete at that level until they have had two more wins.
• Stakes up to and including Restricted may be conducted with four bona fide exhibits and two different owners.

In Spaniel & Retriever Field Trials, changes have been made to the following clauses:
Rule 7, Rule 8, Rule 9, Rule 17, Rule 42, Rule 52, Rule 54, Rule 61,

I think the most significant changes were;
• Trials may be held for championship points when those trials are restricted to just Spaniels or just Retrievers, whereas previously they had to be open to both categories as a prerequisite to championship points being awarded.
• A Novice may now be held when there are four bona fide runners and three handlers (previously it required six dogs and four handlers). However when there are less than six dogs only one championship point will be awarded.
The revised rules may be reviewed on the ANKC website.
There have also been some changes to the Regulations relating to the Judges Training Schemes. (Regulations Part 3A and Part 3B). These may also be reviewed on the ANKC website, but should be read in conjunction with the Member Body training schemes.

Links to amended Rules:
Rules for the conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs - (effective 1 January 2015) - PDF download.

Rules for the conduct of Field Trials for Spaniels and Retrievers - (effective 1 January 2015) - PDF download.

All Retrieving & Field Trials Rules including standing rules for above. - Open link then scroll to the bottom of the page.
Trevor Stevens

Re: Amended Rules Effective from 1st January.

Postby Gareth Tawton » Mon 17 Nov 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks for keeping us posted Trevor. I'm sure the new changes will help advance our sport.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Alan Donovan » Wed 19 Nov 2014 8:05 am

Hi Trevor

Thank you for your notes on the updated rules

The revised Rule 48 no longer provides for a minimum number of entries for an All Age Stake.
It needs amending - eg add "For an All Age Stake at least four bona fide exhibits and at least four different owners are required"

Also noted that there is a word omitted from the amended Rule 48 - after "bona fide" the word "exhibits" has been deleted. Perhaps if redrafting we could insert the phrase "competing dogs" as there was confusion recently over how many dogs were actually " competing" at an event as opposed to the number appearing in the catalogue and being vetted.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Trevor Stevens » Sat 22 Nov 2014 8:28 am

Thanks for your comments Alan.
Yes I agree that the Committee has overlooked including the requirement for 4 dogs and 4 owners. Hopefully commonsense will apply until we can get it amended.
Omission of the word 'exhibits' was a straight out drafting error by me, and I will get it fixed.
Whether it should be 'exhibits' or 'competing dogs' and the definition of those terms is a bit different. There needs to be a formal process to change the rules.
Trevor Stevens

Postby Alan Donovan » Tue 25 Nov 2014 6:44 am

Hi Trevor

As an additional comment I think the change to Rule 77 should be highlighted:

77. (a) The judge shall give instructions on the conduct of each Run, and these instructions must be obeyed.
These instructions must comply with the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs, including the application of points allocated and deducted therein. The ruling of ‘ No score’ or “elimination” must only be invoked in response to situations where this penalty is specifically stated in the Rules.
(b) Competing dogs shall be kept in a marshalling area from which they cannot see retrieves in progress.

It has been an issue that dogs were being eliminated for minor infringements - it is good to see that this issue has now been addressed.

Probably not the place to ask, but Rules 39 and 40 provide for dogs being tested for steadiness "in a hide" (All Age) or "from behind a hide" (Championship). Is there a difference? Some judges interpretation is that in All Age dogs can just be left at the Control Point (in full view of the handler), while others believe the dog should be out of sight. The definition of a Hide does not provide any clarification. Maybe I should ask in 5 years time when the next rule review comes round!

Cheers
Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Trevor Stevens » Fri 28 Nov 2014 8:24 am

Yes Alan I agree there are lots of little anomalies in the rules like in 39 and 40. We attempt to tidy them up at each rules review but some will always slip through. Keep them in mind for the next cycle of rule changes.

Also, editorial changes to the rules have now been made covering the required number of entries in All Age (Rule 48). The rules incorporating this editorial amendment should now be on the website.

Trevor
Trevor Stevens

Return to General