People and dogs

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

People and dogs

Postby Dale Marshall » Tue 13 Jan 2015 5:47 pm

The last two weeks I have sent out 9 puppies across the nation and to NZ, nothing new about that, it's the different people which made that a pleasure, to a young couple in WA that had never owned a dog, to trialling homes that are looking and hoping for a retrieving champion, some that whish to enhance their own bloodlines, some that wanted a foxred lab, some that had a list of traits that was impossible to cater for, a mate that all he wants is to have a dog better than mine.
Then there was an old mate , this guy has shot more ducks than most of us get to see, had dogs for 50 years, not a trialer but a hunter, just on Christmas he called and told me his old dog of 14 years was starting to fade, the tone of his voice showed his love of this dog, sadly a few days later he called and let me know his dog had to be put down. I had offered him a pup from my import mating previously and he declined as he wasn't ready for another dog, All the pups were sold and most had gone to their new homes. We had one bitch pup that we wanted to keep but no room with another import on her way in April.
Old mate called a week ago and asked me to find him a puppy, he wanted a dog, "I only have dogs"
I called in to see him last weekend and had a chat, remembering the old dog whilst we sat and had a beer, his best season was retrieving over 500 ducks, his first season at 10 months retrieving over 300. Grown men do cry and not afraid to admit it , we shed a tear, To lose your best mate of 14 years is hard. To now own your first bitch at 60 +years old and smiling like a Cheshire cat with excitement of the chance for it to all start again - a new dog a new beginning- renewed enthusiasm
As a breeder we can only try . :P
Dale Marshall

Re: People and dogs

Postby Lynette Lennell » Wed 14 Jan 2015 1:38 pm

What an amazing story Dale. Glad you took the time to share it with us
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Terry J Bannon » Wed 14 Jan 2015 5:40 pm

Great story
Terry J Bannon