Vale - NTL & GRAND RT CH Beereegan One Tree CM

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Vale - NTL & GRAND RT CH Beereegan One Tree CM

Postby Mark Davis » Sun 01 Feb 2015 4:18 pm

It is with great sadness that we inform you of Swampy's passing, old age and the effects of injury throughout his career finally took there toll.
Swampy was loved by many in this country, who admired his desire and tenacity to bring back the bird.
An example of this was his efforts in the 2011 National in NSW at ten years of age. The judges having run the dogs ragged in the hills for two days, took the last run to the water.
Approaching the pegs Swamp's eyes lit up when he saw the water, he came up on his toes and I knew he was going to put in a good run. A triple mark all birds thrown out into the water, landing in and beyond very heavy Cumbungi.
Whilst other dogs ran up and down the bank, Swampy nailed all three, no commands, top scored the run and finished the trial in fifth place. Not bad for a ten year old!
Another example happened at a trial in SA, after the judge announced Swampy as the winner, one of the game stewards asked to speak, he recounted how whilst working the thrower from behind a very high and thick wall of cover, which had seemed impenetrable to most of the field, as they had all ran around and collected the bird from the front.
He was amazed to hear a disturbance from behind were he was sitting on the game bucket, all of a sudden a dog burst through the cover knocking him off the bin, gave him a glance as if to say "you OK mate' collected the bird and went back the same way. As I recall the game steward had a tear in his eye telling this story as I do writing it. This was typical of Swampy's work throughout his life.
Swamp was a great dog in an era of great dog's, he won the 2005 National with the likes of Fern, King, Levi, Kato, Monty, Kelly and Tike in the field and he backed it up in 2006 only finishing second to his sister, with the addition of Blackie in the field. Swampy also won 4 Sate Championships, runner up in 4 more and placed in another 8. He accumulated over 250 retrieving points making him a dual Grand Champion and was inducted into the ANKC hall of fame last year.
He was an absolute joy to train, trial and hunt with, he spent the last couple of years relaxing on his bed on the deck.
I will miss saying g'day to him on my way to work of a morning.
Mark
Mark Davis

Re: Vale - NTL & GRAND RT CH Beereegan One Tree CM

Postby Lyn Wise » Sun 01 Feb 2015 4:26 pm

He may be gone, but he will never be forgotten. The breeding and teamwork that Swampy represented was inspirational to any Labrador Breeder especially those with a passion for retrieving. Thinking of you at this sad time.
Lyn Wise
Lyn Wise

Postby Terry J Bannon » Sun 01 Feb 2015 7:07 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss
Terry J Bannon

Postby Clinton Bodilly » Sun 01 Feb 2015 7:35 pm

Mark and Wendy thinking of you at this sad time, sounds like he had a great career and will be sadly missed but fondly remembered.
Clinton Bodilly

Postby Amand Golle » Mon 02 Feb 2015 10:11 am

From Amand and Georgina

Swampy was a great role-model of our sport and will always be remembered.

Our thoughts are with you both at this time of sadness.
Amand Golle

Postby Pauline Gill » Mon 02 Feb 2015 5:22 pm

So sorry for your loss it always hard to loose the oldies especially one so well respected.
Pauline Gill

Postby Allan Bartram » Mon 02 Feb 2015 7:00 pm

Mark & Wendy,
Catherine and I are so sad to hear of "the Swamp Dog's " passing. He really was one of the Champions of his time. I always loved to judge him, he was what I call "honest" he always gave of his best, no matter what, and was a delight to watch. Such great dogs are few indeed. We know how much he will be missed.
Thinking of you both at this sad time.

Allan & Catherine
Allan Bartram

Postby Diane McCann » Mon 02 Feb 2015 7:28 pm

A wonderful dog and I am sure he will leave a big hole in your hearts and life
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Susie Partridge » Tue 03 Feb 2015 8:02 am

Mark and Wendy, so sorry to read about Swampy. He was a much admired and wonderful Champion, and you made a much admired and wonderful team. Our sport is poorer for his passing.
Susie
Susie Partridge

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 03 Feb 2015 11:32 am

Sorry to hear about Swampy - he was a wonderful dog.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jack Lynch » Tue 03 Feb 2015 5:21 pm

Wendy and Mark,
Sorry to hear the sad news, our thoughts are with you.
Jack and Christine.
Jack Lynch

Postby John Lawton » Tue 03 Feb 2015 7:56 pm

Mark and Wendy,
Swampy, Vicky and I had our full admiration watching him work, going out nothing faced him, then watching him return bird in mouth and a big smile.
It was great to see a dog haply wanting to work with you.
The bench mark has been set very high.
John & Vicky.
John Lawton

Return to General