How well do judges know our rules ?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

How well do judges know our rules ?

Postby Kerry Webster » Sat 07 Feb 2015 12:44 pm

I'm sure we all ask this question sometimes when competing with our dogs, but it is a valid question, particularly with rule changes being implemented from time to time.

Also, we are all aware of the right to lodge a protest at a trial, but how many actually do this, as it is time consuming, quite costly in some states, and often just too much of an inconvenience all round. But, if a judge is queried by a competitor at the time regarding the validity of something, do they just brush it off as "how dare you" or, actually consider it as a possible break of a rule ? I tend to think the former is often the case, and I must say that in 20 years of trialing I have only seen four protests during All Age trials.

I am only bringing up the subject as I did have a breach of the rules happen to me whilst in South Australia last year & despite my protestation to the judge, I was told "I haven't got time to have you do a rerun". The actual rule that wasn't adhered to is Rule 59 (e) which includes that game must fall a minimum of ten metres from the game steward. The game in my case fell 2 metres from the game steward just in front of the thrower. Yes I know I could have put in a protest, but honestly, it was already my fifth time up with the dog for this run, it was cold, wet and getting late, so I let it go at the time, but it did bug me.

My point is, regardless of the time, the weather or anything else, a competitor has the right to have a fair & equal chance at any retrieve. Someone said to me once that the rules we have for retrieving did not mean a thing to them & if they wanted a 180 metre mark, then that is what it would be. I find that attitude to be rude and a blatant disrespect of the set of rules put in place for the sport. We may as well throw out the book if that is the case.

I am wondering whether it would be beneficial to have a refresh for judges every now and then, to go over the rules so that new and old rules can be brought to their attention. And, make it compulsory that judges attend. I am a judge too and would consider a refresh on the rules as beneficial to me and the sport that I love. How say you ?
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Re: How well do judges know our rules ?

Postby PennyAngel » Sat 07 Feb 2015 7:41 pm

As a relatively new person to the sport and a judge I couldn't agree more. I think it would be great if we had an annual judges conference or even some clarity from our local RAFT when a rule change does occur, and I don't just mean an email. We know the rules have changed this year and it was great that Trevor posted the changes. But wouldn't it be nice to have received a copy of the rules in the mail and the changes highlighted? I mean we all pay to be judges. Yes it is up to us to print out and follow up, however not everyone has access to printers.

It is hard work to be a judge, especially if you put the time and effort in to setting up good runs, it would be shame to then get a rule wrong and have that the memory of the competitors.
He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything.
- Thomas Carlyle
PennyAngel

Postby Wendy Michalk » Sat 07 Feb 2015 10:40 pm

How nice to think QLD is in lead for once ,we have had hard copies of the new rule changes posted to all judges,& Each club secretary was also made aware by post of the new rules especially the rules that involve Novice & Restricted wins.
We held a judges forum late in 2013 & nearly all our judges attended it is great to see judges abreast of all rules, I believe it takes pressure off the judge of the day & keeps competition much happier..
cheers
Wendy
Wendy Michalk

Postby hcornelius » Mon 09 Mar 2015 11:53 am

I agree with Penny and Kerry and applaud Qld's efficiency, Wendy.
I've just downloaded the new rules from the ANKC site from January 2015, and altered my judging sheets to score "steadiness, obedience and walking to heel" with a maximum of 5 points. And total score Maximum reduced to 60 now.
What I'd hoped to find on this website was a nice summary of ALL the changes that are incorporated in the new rules.
Does anyone know what ALL the changes are and can post a summary.
It would be such a help!!
Helena
hcornelius

Postby Peter Butterfield » Mon 09 Mar 2015 7:20 pm

This thread contains an overview of the latest rule changes
http://retrieving.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3567
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Return to General