Why are trial site details not listed?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Why are trial site details not listed?

Postby Clinton Bodilly » Thu 25 Jun 2015 8:54 pm

It maybe a silly question but why is it that some trials do not give an address and/or map and want you to phone the trial manager a week before a trial for this info.

Surely a trial manager has better things to do than fend off multiple phone calls asking the same question giving the same directions etc to everyone?

It just seems that we have a wonderful resource in this internet forum where there is a central place with all the trials listed for the various states (Trial date index) and the facility to list a map/details etc.

If the reason is that some trial address details want to remain from the general internet public, then list them in the registered section of the forum.

Is there a good reason why they are not listed in the week leading up to the trial?

Clinton
Clinton Bodilly

Re: Why are trial site details not listed?

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 25 Jun 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Clinton,

I can't talk for other clubs but certainly my experience over the last few years with the Vic Gundog Club is that this is a multi faceted issue.

Some of the issues we have seen over the years include

Some property owners don't want the details of their property posted on websites.
Weather can change or affect trial sites, water availability, total fire ban declarations, flooding etc making access impossible.
I have even seen a property owner bait the property with 1080 the week before a trial. It wasn't deliberate as such he just didn't think of the possible ramifications to us.

If directions or properties are declared too early it is possible someone reads the web and never rechecks for a change.

The VGC attempts to give entrants as much notice as possible of the intended area to allow competitors to make travel arrangements then post final directions when they are confirmed.

I find as a trial manager I only get a hand full of calls from relative newcomers using this method.
In other states entries are required to include a stamped addressed envelope and entries close 3-4 weeks in advance to allow directions to be sent snail mail.
Perhaps we could be better at getting people to include email addresses to allow us to email directions???
Gareth Tawton

Return to General